Feed store recommended I feed my girls Hen Scratch

briannanoelle1

In the Brooder
Apr 7, 2016
But I've been reading everywhere that scratch is just a treat. I've been feeding them the Farmers Best Hen Scratch with oyster shells on the side this whole time and I get good quality eggs, but now I'm worried they aren't getting the nutrition they need.

Where are you located? How old are the birds in question?
This is what I found for the feed you referenced: http://farmerswarehouse.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/FARMERS-BEST-HEN-SCRATCH.jpg and, yes, as it shows it is insufficient as a primary diet to support long-term health and production.....as an example, the protein is only listed as 8.5%, even the barest bones/lowest quality later ration stands around 14% or higher. That being said, young birds in their first laying cycle are more likely to be able to continue production with poor nutritional support than older birds in subsequent laying cycles. Likewise, birds in an area where there is sufficient forage available to supplement the poor base feed can often make up for the deficiencies enough to support continued production.
In short, *I* would not use your current feed program, even if I were seeing no cause for concern at this point as nutritional deficiency is something that will have long-term effects. I would suggest selecting a more nutritional base diet and use the scratch as it is intended, as a supplemental feed or treat.

I believe it is a threat my hens just started laying just gave them layer pellets. They are winning for corn scratch but they don't need it.

Back
Top Bottom