Feed

Quote:

And sometimes more money than brains. Of course that is good for gobblerunfarm. I couldn't believe the price when I was looking yesterday. Don't think I've ever seen them go that high.

I saw your ads on Ebay Goblerunfarms. Looks like you have found the pot of gold. Is this your first year selling eggs ? I sold day olds and started birds last year, but with your success I just might go the egg route this year. I've seen Reeves and Amherst eggs go on Craigs list for up to 10.00, but nothing like this. Keep up the good work Amigo.

With so many people becoming interested in backyard poultry the dire straits of pheasant aviculture may just have a reprieve. If just ten % of all these backyard chicken hobbyists took up an interest in pheasants we might actually witness the birth of a new generation of aviculturists- and with them the expansion of captive pheasant populations. Many will disagree, but I hope that prices of pheasant eggs and chicks and adults rise exponentially. They're worth more than gold. Perhaps people will start taking care of them more ethically and actually treasure them. There will always be conscientious breeders donating birds to people just getting started but I think it's high time registries came into being and the price of a bird is related to the professionalism of the breeder.

I've been interested in aviculture for years, especially pheasant. But between the price of land, the economy, and the price of birds (as of now) I can't afford to get in. As far as cheap birds for beginners, they are rare, and cheap ussually means poor quality. Even if I was offered birds at this point I wouldn't beable to take them because I have no where to keep them and I'm not sure I could make them pay their own feed bill. I have gain a ton of knowledge over the last 8 years but knowledge is about the only thing anyone is willing to "give away" and alot of the time you have to pay for that.
hu.gif
I'm going to try to get back into birds next year with some coturnix quail, simply because they're productive and I can make them pay, truthfully I find them ugly. I will also say that I hold any of my animals dear no matter their price tag. I hate to disagree but that is just my opinion and point of veiw from the "next generation".

Last edited:
I dont like high prices on more common pheasants (actually I dont like high prices on anything
lol.png
) But in reality I think the rarer the bird the more expensive it should be so it is treasured and assured to not go extinct. If they get too expensive like any thing else then nobody will do them at all. But getting back to the OP I only have purina here so I would just cut down on the scratch or like birdboy said mix it all together. I always like to give them other things as well . winter rye grass,collards,greens fresh wheat they also get fruits and veggies of all manner for treats sometimes. I think variety is better for their overall health now. But when I first started with the most common pheasant right or wrong all they got was chicken layer pellets and more gamebird toward breeding and to be quite honest none the worse for wear. But Im sure that the better the diet the longer they live. If you think about it birds are rare for a reason and one of the main reasons is what you have to feed those rarer ones.

Hmm. In college?

Nope, they wanted me to pay close to $1000 because my roomate gave away his key at the end of first semester and somebody trashed our dorm. But thats beside the point, I think that anyone who really knows them can tell what pure and whats crossed up (atleast when it comes to ruffed pheasant) and I think current prices are appropriate for pure birds (35 for goldens and 45 for amherst) but if those prices go up for pure birds anybody who wants to get started will see the prices and go for the cheaper mixed up birds.

I feed Kalmbach but I don't think that you can get it. The next best would be kent. If you cant get their gamebird feed, multi-flock is a good choice. I mix in scratch, mana pro show supplement, kickin chicken, and 30% protien dry cat food from our local amish store.

We also use Kalmbach, Nice part is my feed supply store can custom order 2000lb totes for me instead of dealing with all those bags and it saves us a few bucks also. http://www.kalmbachfeeds.com/Game-Birds.html

Checked out the Kalmbach feed site and it looks like something that is only sold in the midwest. Too bad it sounds like a great product that is pretty highly recommended by you guys. Wish it was sold here in Arizona. We don't have much choice other than Purina.

Back
Top Bottom