Feeder Build

From the plexiglass to the front piece....now 3" maybe 4-5" would work better.

Depth of my deep dish feeder is 3" and they've got about 4 3/8" 'head room.

Ok, I understand now. Yea it's 3" deep from the inside of the front to the Lexan. I'll try making that 5" today and see what happens.

JT

Ok, I understand now. Yea it's 3" deep from the inside of the front to the Lexan. I'll try making that 5" today and see what happens.

JT
Another thing I'm noticing..the depth of the trough is a fine balance between keeping them from billing feed out and 'choking' themselves trying to reach over that front barrier. I use bricks at some feeders for the shorter birds to step up on to reach bottom of deeper dishes without the 'choking' issue...so height of feeder is another variable.

JT - one modification I think I will do on the build I'm working on is to make the sides a bit wider. The problem for me lately is it's been raining sideways with lots of wind. I think if I put more buffer on the sides, I can keep the feed dry a little better.

My run doesn't have a true cover - I've got shade tarps over the top and partial sides to give some heat relief, but it won't stop the water. My next major project for the run areas is to build a roof over the top, which will help a lot with keeping feed dry.

When you do build a roof over your run put big overhangs. I failed to do so and had to add one on the feeder/nest box side.

JT

Another thing I'm noticing..the depth of the trough is a fine balance between keeping them from billing feed out and 'choking' themselves trying to reach over that front barrier. I use bricks at some feeders for the shorter birds to step up on to reach bottom of deeper dishes without the 'choking' issue...so height of feeder is another variable.

Yea, I noticed that with the 4 1/2" tall front the birds had to press their neck against the front to reach the feed. They didn't seem to like that.

JT

It doesn't work like that around here, I'll drink your beer while teaching you hands on how to make what you want. :cool:

My buddy came to me one day and asked me if I could build a log arch, I said no, but you can and I'll show you how. We cut up an old trailer he had and I bent the pipes and did the welding, he did the rest. Not painted yet in this photo. I love the hub caps.

View attachment 1417064

JT
JT's School of Technology! I'll bring the keg! :yesss:

I increased the depth to 5" yesterday afternoon and this is what it looks like today. I might need to lower the feeder an inch...

feeder-17.jpg \
JT

Well increasing the depth to 5" didn't help at all. You can see the photo on the right was the level of the feed and after a day the left bin was full and over flowing on the floor and middle two nearly full while the right most bin was hardly touched... dunno for now I'll just have to portion it out daily I guess.

feeder-18.jpg

JT

Back
Top Bottom