Feeder location??

juliemcummings

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jun 26, 2012
Right now I have a 2 gallon feeder that I bought from a supply store but I would like to make a larger one so I don't have to refill so often, I've seen a bunch of ideas on the feeder, but I was wondering if the feeder needs to be in the coop or can I just have it in the run? so far I've had it in the coop with them and it seems to work because if I sleep in they always have access to their food. but if I make a larger feeder I don't want it to take up too much room inside.

it really doesnt matter. I keep mine in the run, but thats just my preference. most of the time chickens dont eat after they go to sleep, so it depends on when they wake up and are let out. but as u said they'll have access to the food if they are let out later. theres no right or wrong so id go with what works best for u.

As I have a chicken tractor, my feeder is in the run. However, I take it inside every night to keep the mice and other critters away from it. I did have a squirrel manage to get inside the run with the chickens to eat the feed. Oddly, the girls didn't seem to mind their piggy friend!

I keep the feeder in the coop. I don't want to feed the wild bird population around here. In addition to attracting mice, or even worse RATS, to the chicken area. Also, wild birds can carry disease, and I don't want them hanging out and crapping in the chicken's food.
Jack

I have mine in coop as well, even though my pen is covered in deer netting (that was a long hard project). So even though I know wild birds are not getting in, I fear putting it outside will get the ground squirrels in the pen or some other critters.

I plan on continuing this practice when I build my new coop and in fact want to make a larger self feeder that I can fill from the top. PVC piping and some ingenuity should get er done.

I have a little one inside the coop(in case I sleep in- it needs refilling once a week or so so they use it alittle bit), one big one inside their covered mini run, as well as a 1 gallon waterer-- the run door is actually left open all day so they can free range, and there is another feeder/ waterer outside their run but under our porch so they have cover while they eat/ drink....
So I guess you dont have to decide in/out! Have both!
We do have field mice (I can hear them rustling about in the weeds) but have not seen any mouse poops in our chicken yard or in the coop, and wild birds, particularly a pair of blue jays that sit in the tree in the chicken yard, but our Rooster (they are only 14 weeks but he is a good size being a Jersey Giant) keeps them at bay.. never seen any birds at the feeders and we have a good population of truly wild birds....(no barn sparrows, etc)...

I have mine inside the coop because I tend to get up late at times. This way they always have access to their food. I use a DIY PVC feeder with a high end litter pan. It's about 5 ft. tall, but you can make it any height. It holds about 25 lbs. of feed. As you can see, it doesn't take up much room at all. The 4 in. pipe is secured to the stud with metal hose clamps. The litter pan is screwed into the stud with a board underneath to support the pan. It rests about 8 inches above the floor. The pipe rests about 1/2 in. above the litter pan so that the feed can freely fill the pan as needed. It doesn't overflow. We keep a cap on top of the pipe to keep the feed clean.

Last edited:
I have mine inside the coop because I tend to get up late at times. This way they always have access to their food. I use a DIY PVC feeder with a high end litter pan. It's about 5 ft. tall, but you can make it any height. It holds about 25 lbs. of feed. As you can see, it doesn't take up much room at all. The 4 in. pipe is secured to the stud with metal hose clamps. The litter pan is screwed into the stud with a board underneath to support the pan. It rests about 8 inches above the floor. The pipe rests about 1/2 in. above the litter pan so that the feed can freely fill the pan as needed. It doesn't overflow. We keep a cap on top of the pipe to keep the feed clean.

Love it what a great design, where did you get that corner pan?

Check out 'triggerhappychickens'
I just ordered 2 tirggers from them and I can't WAIT to get a great big rain proof feeder set up out in my run!
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom