Feeders inside the coop or outside in the run? And other feeder questions.

srhmchlk

In the Brooder
Apr 1, 2015
WI
My coop is 4x8 ft, I have always kept food inside on a hanging 7lb feeder. This was fine with 6 chickens. When I added 3 more hens over a month ago, I also added a second feeder also inside the coop. All hens get along great. Can I go with one feeder, should I stick with 2? Should I move one feeder outside? I don't want a too crowded coop with winter coming. As a side note, I keep 2, 1 gallon waterers outside in the run.

If I do move a feeder outside, what's a good way to keep it from getting wet, I'm very predator proof with a chicken wired covered run, so moisture is my only enemy.

Last edited:
Cover enough of your run with a waterproof tarp & put your feeders under it. I definitely think you need it out of the coop.

Cover enough of your run with a waterproof tarp & put your feeders under it. I definitely think you need it out of the coop.

I did cover much of my run with a tarp last year, ice collected on top. That turned I to a lot of weight. Went out 2 different times over the winter to try to break and remove it. Haven't decided how to cover this year.

This is what I have, above. What about this, below?

Last edited:
I'd go back to one feeder, and keep it inside. if it ain't broke, don't fix it :)

Is one feeder for 9 hens ok? I've seen that as many as 6 can eat together at 1 of my feeders? I don't wAnt to start aggression between them or have any girl that can't eat.

Is one feeder for 9 hens ok? I've seen that as many as 6 can eat together at 1 of my feeders? I don't wAnt to start aggression between them or have any girl that can't eat.
I had 11 chickens last winter and one feeder. They did fine. This year I have 28 chickens and put a second one in until everyone was well integrated. I think part of the answer might depend on how you feed. Free choice, they learn quickly that it's always full and they'll get their share. Feeding once in the morning and once in the evening might lead to some jostling at the feeder, but they are used to each other now, have their pecking order sorted out, and they'll work through having one feeder without anyone going hungry. I think you are just fine.

I do keep it full always, so I will go back to 1 feeder and see how things go, thanks!

Back
Top Bottom