Feeding and taking care of a donkey (?)

I use, http://luckythreeranch.com/website/ask-meredith/ask-meredith-diet/ , she also has some awesome dvd's and books I'm after.
For a mini donkey:
No corn it causes HUGE problem for donkeys and really all equines.
1/2 pound oats (steam, crimped or cracked) some how broken or they will just pass right through. measure by weight not volume.
1/2 ounce mazola corn oil ( helps prevent colic)
1/2 ounce sho-glo or colvite (vitamins and minerals)
1 to 2 flakes of hay daily. bermuda or other low protein hay.
I feed in the evenings for warmth.
Bare ground is fine as long as you have a shelter were he can dry out his feet to prevent thrush (a fungus in the hooves) and rain scald-another fungus on the skin can cause bald spots. you can treat the spots cheaply with vingar or listrine in a squirt bottle (sprays freak them out), for about 1 week of daily squirts. Horse.com has everything you can't find at tractor supply. Our tractor supply is having a horse decorating party sat the 17th and a vet will be giving cogging for 28 dollars avoiding the additional the farm call charge. check with yours. If you change the feed, do so over a week to 2 week course to prevent colic. Treats will cause your mini to get bite!! in the quest for treats!! I give only oats for good behavior--standing for farrier trims, for my husband picking out his back feet. I use a hoof sealant Jay-jay's feet in wet weather, our pasture fill up thru the middle in rain storms and the sealant works for 1 week and can be put on wet cleaned hooves. I use meredith hodges worming schudule every 2 months with ivermectic and in noverber I used Srongid to break the predictable cycle of worming and to kill any worms that are not affected by the invermectin. i use 1/2 of the womer you will most likely get 3 treatment, so you may want to keep that refrigated, not sure how long it will last opeden and 6 months is a long time.
If you get a another donkey as a full time compaion donkey will spend time with each other and not protect anything. another eqiune or large animal ,sheep,some goats cow are fine for company. A mini donkey can only protect from things smaller than he is, that is to say he is too small for coyotos and wolfs--he would become dinner. If you have an intact jack, please have him gelded--all those hormones can be dangerous. They are altered differently, and require a stiching and tying that horses do not and are very senetive to drugs and have a tendece to wake up in the middle of things, an extra bit of drugs to put them back under can and does result in death.--so go with a vet that has perform donkey alters. Now is the best time because of flies.
Mine has 2 spots to roll around in--gets insulted when you brush it out--but boy does he like to be brushed.
Remember his is a desert animal and will get overweight quickly from over feeding. Now mine Never gets too much petting!!
forgot to add, donkeys thinks dogs are coyotes so do be careful of a family pet.

Last edited:
Hi I am new HERE but I have a small herd of mini-donkeys and a herd of horses. I guess on my place EVERYTHING comes in a herd!
idunno.gif
Anyhow, I have jennies and we now have a nine month old baby Jack born here (applejack is his name) Donkeys will be VERY prone to depression if given a reason. A five month old is going to be destressed over being weaned AND in the company of noone else he will resort to whatever he can find to amuse him. Wood chewing a distructive and potentially unhealthy passtime is only one thing he can resort to.weaving,learning to "breakout" In your case I strongly suggest a friend another mini is best so that he doesnt forget how to BE a donkey...a donkey kept only with horses will know horse...not donkey,we rescued one like this. She much prefers horses to the minis. she cant keep up with the big horses but runs after them anyway...
barnie.gif
and can be vicious to the donkeys
he.gif
. I totally agree with previous posts about castration.if you are not breeding him...(and IME should only be done if improving or continuing a great line and shouldnt be done unless you understand about conformation and such)HE REALLY needs to be gelded and a coggins done with shots... I have personally had my own horse ATTACKED (and he was a fifteen hand horse) and pulled OFF his feet and Thrown to the ground by a small standard donkey JACK.(ungelded) That donkey was trying his best to KILL that horse because he was a male! HAd we not been there he would have succeeded. I was told that could happen and honestly could not picture it, i didn't believe it. I can now and applejack will be gelded for his own good. These can be the sweetest BEST natured things if well socialized and nurtured. So have fun with him love on him and touch him ALL over and pick up those feet while he is little....pick one up and hold it and pick them out and tap on them so it wont be a shock when the farrier does it. Learn to put the foot down just shy of him PULLING it away or you can inadvertantly TEACH him to yank it away. put halters on and off him and get him to start out with taking a few steps on a lead and STopping and praise (i wouldnt use treat for training your donk they learn to bitw quick and can be vengefull and don't forget like horses can. ALWAYS stop training sessions on a GOOD note and you should do fine. They are wonderful loving animals and if you overfeed them they get a heavy neckroll up against the mane line...if that "breaks over" it is unreversable...means they are way to FAT! OK I am shutting up mini's are another OBESSION of ours! please feel free to contact us if you need help!or have questions~Cyndy

Please dont give Donkeys Alfalfa,it has a much higher protien content that WILL founder a donkey they need LOW protien grasses not rich or new cut hay. I have seen Donkeys sweat profusly after eating Alfalfa hay

Feed low quality hay and give him as much as he'll eat, If no grass you are suppose to suppliment it with 24/7 acess to hay. DO NOT FEED ALFALFA!!! That is a Founder waiting to happen! Vert low quality hay! Pick the brown/tannest color hay you can find! Green means protein!
The pacing is bordem.. give him a toy! Being 5 months old he should play with a ball or lick on a salt block but never give him a mineral block! They are actually bad for equine as they were oringinally made for cattle.
The hair loss might be from :
1. Stress.. When they are kept in a small enclosure for long periods with nothing to do and especailly at the age he is, they stress easily.
2. Rain rot.. If you feel along the hairless spots an feel bumps or scabs, spray those areas with listerine 2x a day or use Goldbond foot powder!

Last edited:
YES! what tiny tots said! well said! such a young baby to be alone just having left mom now noone maybe a friend? Do you think it is possible they would do that?
fl.gif

Traffic cones make good toys, or hang a jolly ball,even a spare tire. letting mine follow me around keeps him happy...Not all the time, just 5 mintues here and there.
I second what chick-among-us said,--Not legume hay, No cereal hays, or clover! fescue is too high also.--read, who knew there was So much to learn about hay??and google hays--that's how I picked bermuda for Jay-jay. You want 1st cutting hay, less protein and it also cheaper--not what you would pick for a horse. But there is orcard grass, timothy, brome and a few more Learn the protein amounts for hay-you want less than 10%, then find what's avilable for your area. look for sweet smelling hay, Not dusty, feel inside the bale for heat-If very hot avoid it's not cured properly.
You might adversite on craigs list for last year's horse hay--If dry kept, the right hay will be minus vitmins--but will give lots in roughage and you can get the vitamins from the sho-glo or colvite.
stick with loose salt, a horses tongue is not as rough a a cow's therefore they have trouble getting enough in that form. I have loose salt in a bucket.
beware the teenage years, they can wreck problems, more with intact males.
Read the advice then go with what works for you.
pop.gif

Last edited:
As that might be true, The purpose of a salt block is to keep them occupied. So you dont want something they can easly get enough of.
Never thought about using one for entertainment. chick-among-us--Do you just leave it loose? or in a salt block holder?
You may want to use a solar water warmer I found in "Stable secrets" book; take a couple of tires, stack up and fit 2,5 gal. buckets inside (trim tire,if needed), in bottom bucket fill with a few inches of sand, stuff straw around the bucket between the tire and buckets. either fill the second bucket with water or slide in to fill. The book calls for 1 bucket with sand under that bucket, but I want to fill from inside the barn, and next year I'll still have sand to reuse. During the day the black tires absorb the heat of the sun keeping the water from totally freezing. With a mini, you may get by with a large heated dog watering dish.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom