Feeding back eggs during amprol treatment

Mar 29, 2021
Im treating my whole flock for coccidiosis due to a chick having it that im brooding indoors, and this includes 2 grown outdoor hens. Im not a huge fan of eggs and only one is laying right now so i feed their eggs back, usually 3 eggs once a week.

So heres the big question:

Is there enough thiamine in eggs to inhibit the uptake of amprolium?

Unfortuntately, I don't know if eggs have enough thiamine to be a problem. (I can look up the thiamine content of eggs, but I can't find how much each day would matter.)

But do the hens have symptoms of coccidiosis? If not, why are you treating them?

Coccidiosis is everywhere, and most chickens develop a resistance to your local strains as they grow up. So if your hens have already been living in your area, and do not show any symptoms of coccidiosis, they do not need treating. If you don't have to treat them, the thiamine content of the eggs won't matter.

I don't know how many other chickens you have, but I would only treat the one with symptoms and any others that are living in the same pen with it.

Unfortuntately, I don't know if eggs have enough thiamine to be a problem. (I can look up the thiamine content of eggs, but I can't find how much each day would matter.)

But do the hens have symptoms of coccidiosis? If not, why are you treating them?

Coccidiosis is everywhere, and most chickens develop a resistance to your local strains as they grow up. So if your hens have already been living in your area, and do not show any symptoms of coccidiosis, they do not need treating. If you don't have to treat them, the thiamine content of the eggs won't matter.

I don't know how many other chickens you have, but I would only treat the one with symptoms and any others that are living in the same pen with it.
I agree though i am treating the entire flock based off instructions from the vet. I dont think it matters either but im just curious about the chemical compounds and people's opinions

Back
Top Bottom