feeding bread to chickens

Quote:
I agree, everything in moderation, if they only eat the treats and refuse their chicken food...then it becomes an issue. Mine get a little something in the evening before bed, to get them in...they look forward to me and to it...usually grapes and apples...

Quote:
Would you please post a link to this study? We eat whole wheat bread because we want the fiber. White bread is wheat bread w/out the husk.

Craig, a guess would be that your hens finally got to the age where they could lay. The bread had nothing to do w/it.

I'm sorry, but I read out of so many health magazines, books, and articles online, including actual scientific articles from scientific magazines on this type of thing, it would be majorally difficult to find, but if I run across it again, (and I know I've read probably at least 3 articles about that very thing,) this last one was a couple of months ago, so I will post it if I find it again.
smile.png

Also, just for your information:
smile.png
We also buy white wheat that we grind into whole wheat that is just as nutritious. The key is that it is fresh and hasn't had the wheat germ, and nutrients removed.
celebrate.gif
We use mostly Spelt though as it actually has healing properties that the other grains don't have, has a higher protein content, as well as the fact that it is easier to digest for those who have a hard time digesting wheat. Many people have problems with it raising, but I hand knead the dough for 20 minutes (with a timer
smile.png
) so that the gluten develops and my bread is nice and light, not heavy, etc. that can sometimes accompany whole wheat bread.
woot.gif
Spelt that has not been ground also has a much longer shelf life than many of the other grains, because the nutrients are on the inside.

Can you share your spelt recipe? I have tried and tried and it tastes great, but my family calls it 'lead bread'. Is it all in the kneading?

I missed it if the OP said how many chickens he has, but that sounds like a LOT of bread. Moderation.

for everyone saying, but my hens love bread and they still lay, well i love chocolate covered doughnuts and if i eat only those i would live for a while but would i be healthy?

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It might clog up your chickens crop and they can die

Yes, we are dealing with the bread problem right now! I believe we were giving them too much, and egg count dropped . We have stopped with the bread in a test for one week and low and behold the egg count increased again. Our hens receive other great treats, veggies and yogurt and the like, JUST NOT BREAD RIGHT NOW. Just like children they were filling up on junk before dinner.

can l ask a question please lve only got chickens 2 weeks now 4 Rhode Island reds 20 weeks old between the 4 l get an egg a day...if l leave the egg in the nesting box will another chicken go in and lay another beside it or should l just remove the first one?

can l ask a question please lve only got chickens 2 weeks now 4 Rhode Island reds 20 weeks old between the 4 l get an egg a day...if l leave the egg in the nesting box will another chicken go in and lay another beside it or should l just remove the first one?
Remove the egg before it goes bad and explodes (nasty, nasty smell). You can use fake eggs instead, to encourage them to use the nestbox when they are ready. You can buy fake eggs at feedstores, Tractor Supply and the like or you can use what I've always used - golf balls (yeah, chickens aren't that bright and can't tell the difference between a golf ball and an egg).
Five months is still early, give them a little more time.

I have been giving my chickens eggs every day ever since I got them. I have 3 that are laying right now and I get 2 or 3 eggs every day. My question is I wonder if it's okay and healthy for them. I have a relative that works at Rotellas bakery and he gives us large amounts of bread. My chickens love it.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom