feeding chicken feeds?

I researched Southern States and if it was offered I would try it on the newer birds (the older birds would protest the change and stop laying)...BUT my feed store isn't the brightest fish in the sea and I begged them for a year to order me 300 pounds of Manna Pro and they finally did it so I am not going to confuse them again lol...plus I am going to change the order to 500 pounds soon which will drive them nuts haha

Quote:
At my new hot spot thats all they carry. I was on Southern States website and they were selling the Manna Pro on there. Is Manna Pro made by them?

I DONT KNOW ABOUT THAT, BUT KEEP IN MIND SOUTHERN STATES IS A LARGE FEED PRODUCER AND FARM STORE AND CO-OP= THAT IS WHERE IT GOT IT'S BEGINNINGS. AS A CO-OP AND FEED PRODUCER, THEN THEY BECAME A LARGE FARM SUPPLY CHAIN. THE SOUTHERN STATES COMPANY IS I BELIEVE A FULL LINE MANNO PRO DEALER (OR AT LEAST ALL THE STORES I HAVE EVER BEEN TO IN THE PAST WERE) SO IT MAY BE THAT THEY ARE JUST A MANNA PRO DEALER, OR THEY MAY BE SOMEHOW IN CAHOOTS WITH MANNA PRO... SUCH AS MANNA PRO MAKES THEIR BRAND OF FEED FOR THEM? I DUNNO??

Quote:
I'm honestly a lot more worried about the quality of the eggs and meat then the cost to produce them... I don't have a lot of money (I'm a stay home mom with a husband in college) but I prioritize and I believe in organic food. I do think you're right- it just doesn't exist... so I'll be learning to make my own.

organic food is GMO free, and organic dairy, meat and eggs are not fed GMOs.

Quote:
I will definatly be very careful in formulating the feed I make for them- my families health is my primary concern and motivation to produce our own food- and we will only be as healthy as what we eat, so the quails health is a HUGE priority! Now that I've learned that they can't have poultry feed I'll be making sure what I make is perfect for them. I ordered from you, since you're so close to me and your birds looked so nice, and I promise they will be very well tended to.
smile.png

I need to make the switch. Purina is a little pricey compared to southern states. I think that I will use my last couple of pounds of purina this week and then switch.

I am in the same boat! I do not eat GMO's nor will I eat chicken, quail, duck etc. meat or eggs that have been fed GMO's. To the misinformed about GMO's, that is what your feed is made with, it is the cheaper not the more expensive corn and soy. If you don't believe us, please do a little research. A great documentary is called "King Corn" they take you through the process of growing GMO corn for high fructose corn syrup, ethanol, and animal feed. So that being said, can I use my organic chicken layer and add flax seed, fish meal, etc. to make up the needed protein? If the answer is not known, it is ok, I am calling Hiland Naturals tomorrow to see if they can clue me in on that. Also, what vitamins and minerals are in quail feed that are not found in chicken feed? It seems odd that ALL gamebirds have the same diet requirements but are so different from a chickens diet
hu.gif

I really do appreciate all the help I get on this board
smile.png

OK I REALLY DONT GET IT.... BEEN ROLLING THIS AROUND IN MY HEAD SINCE YOU POSTED LAST JACKIE--- I UNDERSTAND NOT WANTING TO USE THINGS GROWN WITH MAN MADE PESTICIDES AND FERTILIZERS AND WHATNOT, BUT ALL THIS GMO PHOBIA SIMPLY DOES NOT REGISTER WITH ME (IF ITS JUST THE GMO PART THAT IS)= I MEAN NO OFFENSE TO ANYONE, I AM SIMPLY SEEKING KNOWLEDGE FOR MY ENLIGHTENMENT. BECAUSE A QUICK GLANCE AT YOUR PAGE HERE SHOWS THAT YOU OWN AT LEAST 20+GMO POULTRY SPECIMENS--- THATS RIGHT. YOUR POLISH- HE'S A GMO, SO ARE YOUR SILKIES AND RIR'S AND LIST GOES ON--- BECAUSE WHEN WE SELECTIVELY BREED TO ESTABOLISH A SET BREED WITH STANDARDS THATS WHAT WE ARE DOING--- GENETICALLY MANUFACTURING. ALL MODERN BREEDS OF POULTRY (EVEN YOUR QUAIL) ARE GENETICALLY MANUFACTURED BY SELECTIVE BREEDING. I AM FAMILIAR WITH THE DOCUMENTARY MENTIONED HERE AND THE POINT THEY WERE MAKING WASNT GMO, SO MUCH AS IT WAS WHAT MAJOR INDUSTRY IS DOING WITH MANIPULATING THE INGREDIENTS IN YOUR COMMERCIALLY PREPARED FOOD SOURCES AT THE SUPERMARKET AND IT'S LONG TERM EFFECTS ON YOU AND YOUR HEALTH. THE FACT THAT THEY USE YELLOW DENT CORN WHICH HAS BEEN SELECTIVELY BRED TO BE MOST SUITED TO HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP SHOULD HAVE NO BAD REFERENCES TO THE GMO CORN SO MUCH AS THE END RESULT AND WHY ITS IN ALMOST ALL COMMERCIALLY MASS PRODUCED HUMAN FOOD STUFFS. THE FACT THAT IF YOU PLANT CORN IN YOUR VEGTABLE GARDEN AND PREFER TO PLANT SILVER QUEEN WHITE CORN, OR BURPEE'S EARLY YELLOW YOU ARE PLANTING GMO'S SHOULD HOPEFULLY HELP CLARIFY WHERE MY LACK OF "GETTING IT" COMES FROM ON THIS WHOLE "ORGANIC" THING. ITS LIKE SAYING ALL PIT BULLS OR ALL DOBERMAN'S ARE EVIL AND SHOULD BE DESTROYED AS BREEDS= IT DOESNT WORK. DONT BE DOWN ON GMO AS IT IS NOTHING MORE THAN SELECTIVE BREEDING IN VEGTABLE FORM- BE AGAINST THE PURPOSE FOR CERTAIN SELECTION AND THE END RESULTS OF IT= SUCH AS HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP. MOREOVER IF YOU REALLY WANT TO TRUELY MAKE A DIFFERENCE LETS START ASKING QUESTIONS OF GOVT AGENCIES AS TO WHY THERE'S HFCS IS EVERYTHING THAT IS MASS PRODUCED, LETS START ASKING HIENZ AND DOLE AND DEL MONTE AND KRAFT AND ALL THEIR BUDDYS EXACTLY WHY THEY THINK ITS A GOOD IDEA TO PUT THIS STUFF IN EVERYTHING FROM UNCOOKED PASTA TO A FRIED BURGER AT A FAST FOOD CHAIN. THEN AFTER WE GET THAT FIXED WE CAN ALL RALLY AGAINST THE SUGAR INDUSTRY FOR KILLING THE EVERGLADES AND POISONING THE ENVIRONMENT (BECAUSE THATS THE OTHER ALTERNATIVE TO HFCS)

SIMPLE FACT IS CORN IS CORN, YES LIKE CHICKENS THERE ARE DIFFERENT BREEDS OR STRAINS DESIGNED TO SUIT A PURPOSE, BUT ITS STILL CORN OR THE SAME CAN BE SAID ABOUT SOYBEANS, BEATS, ETC.

AS TO THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN CHICKENS AND GAMEBIRDS WELL I GUESS THE BEST WAY WOULD BE LIKE COMAPRING CATS TO DOGS--- YES BOTH ARE DOMESTICATED CARNIVOROUS PREDATORS, BUT YET THEIR OPTIMAL NUTRITIONAL NEEDS VARY. LIKELY THE BIGGEST DIFFERENCE HERE IS TIME--- AS IN THE FACT THAT DOMESTIC POULTRY HAS BEEN DOMESTICATED WAY LONGER THAN GAMEBIRDS, NATURES DESIGN SUITED THEM TO A WILD EXISTANCE THAT IS TAYLORED FOR THEIR NATURAL ENVIRONENTS IN THE WILD. THIS WAS LIKELY VERY TRUE OF EARLY DOMESTIC POULTRY. OR IT MAYBE THAT THEY ARE SIMPLY ENGINEERED IN DIFFERENT WAYS BY NATURE'S DESIGN?
idunno.gif

Back
Top Bottom