feeding chickens animal fat in the winter months??

thetajmahalcoop

Songster
10 Years
Jan 2, 2010
nunda ny
Can someone please tell me, I saw this on other threads that in the cold temps you can feed chickens animal meat/fat?? Is this true? I've always assumed no scraps except veggies etc. but now I am second guessing myself and wondering if this is ok?? Its FREEZING here in upstate NY and have been giving my girls warm water and scratch grains and corn to increase their body temp and would love to do anything else for them I can during this miserable weather..... thanks so much in advance!!!!

A lot of people give their chickens animal meat. I would not give chicken,
sickbyc.gif
well its sort of odd. Animal fat may be a little to much for them though. I have given them hamburger meat well cooked and lots of people give venison. Gloria Jean

we have a banana box full of cow bones in the freezer a local farmer gave my husband for the dogs as treats (YUCK!!!) and I was thinking about giving one or two to the chickens today when it was so cold out as an extra treat but wasnt sure....they have some meat left on them........

I have to admit my chickens get leftover chicken and they love it! I throw in the food processor with veggies and wala! They had beef too not alot but scraps yes. Tonight was steamed carrots-broccoli-baked taters. They do love meat though

I feed animal meat and fat any time there are leftovers in the kitchen. I routinely throw a chicken carcass out there after we have roast chicken dinner almost every Sunday. They pick it AMAZINGLY clean! I've also recently discovered that supplementing a handful or two of meat based cat kibble daily is improving the daily egg count by 50% during this ususually cold and dark winter. We normally have very sunny and dry winters, a few snowy days here and there but normally melts off same day. This year we have had two large storms with snow remaining for over a month now due to most days being cloudy. From 17 egglayers I was down to 2-4 eggs per day. We are now up to 8-10 per day after just a few days of cat kibble. It's the only change I've made so I'm relatively certain of the cause and effect.

Quote:
my chickens wont touch kitty kibbles. we had a 40lb bag of blue seal cat food and my cats hated it so I tried to give it to my chickens as treats.. they were NOT having it!!!

Try adding Warm Water to the Cat Kibble, they would probably like it then.

Mine get all kinds of things....Turkey, Pork, Beef,Tuna, Salmon....sometimes they eat better than me.....lol

Back
Top Bottom