Checking-In On Peeps - Post Here To Say Hello!

I'm doing good. I'm in nursing school at the moment. I had to give up my 2 chickens and 4 pigeons due to health reasons. The chickens are now teaching 6 week old pullets how to behave in a flock. They are safe in an enclosure. I was sad to see them go, but there was no choice.

Hi all. My 4 girls have been doing well. 2 actively laying and 2 retired. One of the retirees (a RIR) is a struggle as it seems she gets a poopy butt often. We've given her baths monthly and butt feather trim. Fairly recently wormed. Get fermented food and probiotics. After bath a few days ago, I put some miconazole on and around her vent, and hoping that will help. Otherwise, the other 3 seem to be doing very well. Enjoying the spring weather here in the pacific NW.
Good luck with your old girl. You have some pretty ladies.

I'm doing good. I'm in nursing school at the moment. I had to give up my 2 chickens and 4 pigeons due to health reasons. The chickens are now teaching 6 week old pullets how to behave in a flock. They are safe in an enclosure. I was sad to see them go, but there was no choice.
Im sorry that you had to rehome your flock.
Good luck with nursing school, and with your health.

Thanks for stopping by! Good luck finding your new flock….have you checked your state thread??
Well I didn't realize there was a state thread (oops) but I did find a local breeder recommended through a FB group. Got a couple of Swedish Flowers and a couple Blue Andalusians (these are likely mixes). So far so good! Thanks for the tip!

We have such a vibrant community here at BYC... tons of active friendly members. Of course, life gets busy, so I was thinking it would be fun to start a thread welcoming some of our peeps we haven't heard from in a while.

If that's you, come say hello and let us know what you've been up to. :)

(if that's not you, feel free to invite peeps you haven't seen in a while and say hi to those that post here)
Hola,
Thank you for tagging me. Unfortunately and sadly, I no longer have my chooks… I rehomed them last summer. My very healthy 75 yo mum was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer last summer, and the prognosis was grim.

It was also accurate.

She entered the hospital with a belly ache (literally) and was discharged 2 weeks later with a stage four, 90-180 days-to-live diagnosis.

After that wallop, and being I was my moms main caretaker, I mustered the girls and gave them to a lovely young couple with two young children.

It was a good & necessary choice.

We got mom into City of Hope and their assessment was not much better. But, they did have a treatment that *might* be able to extend her comfort and life but we were still at a very ugly 3-18 months, if the chemo worked…

It did not work. Mum went down hill extremely fast. She decided to enter hospice just before Thanksgiving. She died here at my home on 12/3, 92 days after her diagnosis.

I’m in the process of cleaning out her home in anticipation of putting it up for sale later this year, and also deciding if I should do the same with my home. We lived 5 houses apart… and there’s really no reason for me to stay in this area with mom and grandma (2022 @ 99.5years old) now gone. Mom and I had just finished clearing and selling my grandmothers house just before the diagnosis.

It’s been a rather terrible 2 years.

Most of what is left of my family lives in Hawaii (Big Island)… I’ve been scoping out land and thinking I may like living on a volcano.

I’ll be back, eventually. Especially if I decide to go Hawaiian. The south end of the big island has a large and growing homestead small agricultural community.

I hope everyone else is doing well. Please go hug your people.

🫶 and all the best,
Kali

Well I didn't realize there was a state thread (oops) but I did find a local breeder recommended through a FB group. Got a couple of Swedish Flowers and a couple Blue Andalusians (these are likely mixes). So far so good! Thanks for the tip!
Welcome back. State threads are here:
Find Your State's or Your Country's Thread.

Congrats on finding your Swedish Flowers and Blue Andalusians. :highfive:

Hola,
Thank you for tagging me. Unfortunately and sadly, I no longer have my chooks… I rehomed them last summer. My very healthy 75 yo mum was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer last summer, and the prognosis was grim.

It was also accurate.

She entered the hospital with a belly ache (literally) and was discharged 2 weeks later with a stage four, 90-180 days-to-live diagnosis.

After that wallop, and being I was my moms main caretaker, I mustered the girls and gave them to a lovely young couple with two young children.

It was a good & necessary choice.

We got mom into City of Hope and their assessment was not much better. But, they did have a treatment that *might* be able to extend her comfort and life but we were still at a very ugly 3-18 months, if the chemo worked…

It did not work. Mum went down hill extremely fast. She decided to enter hospice just before Thanksgiving. She died here at my home on 12/3, 92 days after her diagnosis.

I’m in the process of cleaning out her home in anticipation of putting it up for sale later this year, and also deciding if I should do the same with my home. We lived 5 houses apart… and there’s really no reason for me to stay in this area with mom and grandma (2022 @ 99.5years old) now gone. Mom and I had just finished clearing and selling my grandmothers house just before the diagnosis.

It’s been a rather terrible 2 years.

Most of what is left of my family lives in Hawaii (Big Island)… I’ve been scoping out land and thinking I may like living on a volcano.

I’ll be back, eventually. Especially if I decide to go Hawaiian. The south end of the big island has a large and growing homestead small agricultural community.

I hope everyone else is doing well. Please go hug your people.

🫶 and all the best,
Kali
Oh Kali, I am so sorry for your loss. :hugs

Thanks for reaching out. Still around, 6 hens laying good, another 9 young hens just a bit over a month old. Same as everyone else, busy these days.
It is good to see you back!

Attachments

• Welcome Back Tweety.gif
    Welcome Back Tweety.gif
    7.7 KB · Views: 0

Back
Top Bottom