Feeding different age chickens

pammurphy132

Songster
5 Years
Apr 30, 2018
I have 4 girls about 5 years old year old, only 2 are laying i think. I now have 9
Twelve week old girls and 1 roo, maybe 2 as one has been growing since he's about a month and the other just his time. I now feed them all flock & they are all together. Do i put down calcium & let them choose or when can i start later egg feed.

Attachments

• 680F61BB-CFD9-4596-AAEA-9056E716712E.jpeg
    680F61BB-CFD9-4596-AAEA-9056E716712E.jpeg
    674.8 KB · Views: 62
I have only laying hens, no roosters or young ones, which is why I feed layer crumbles. I think sticking with an all flock and adding calcium on the side would be a good thing for your situation. Not sure roosters need the extra calcium in a layer feed.

Your young pullets also do not need the calcium in layer feed. Their bodies are not ready to handle the extra calcium. In any mixed age or gender flock it’s best to stick with an all flock raiser type feed with a side dish of oyster shell available. I keep a feeder filled with oyster shell inside the coop (no feed allowed inside the coop) so they can enjoy at will. Vicks, young pullets, and roosters aren’t interested in it other than the occasional curious peck.

Back
Top Bottom