Feeding egg shells

MadChickensVT

Songster
11 Years
Sep 5, 2011
Middlebury, Vermont
I'm considering feeding my chickens their egg shells. There's usually some egg white/yolk still clinging to the eggs. Do I risk them turning into egg eaters? I've noticed some people bake their shells before feeding, is that to prevent egg eating?

Thanks for any info

Yes, I think it is to prevent egg eating.

I keep a container on the counter for eggshells. At the end of the day I microwave them for 30 seconds. This cooks any egg white left in the shell and makes it easier to crush them up. We keep a large pan of oyster shell in their run and I just add the eggshells to that in the morning. My chickens seem to prefer their eggshells to the oyster shell.

Every morning we cook eggs and throw the shells into a "slop dish" to be taken out with leftover food to the chickens.

I throw it all onto the ground where they gobble everything up fast.

I usually smash the shells with my foot just so the shells do not look like eggs (don't want to give 'em any ideas).

They eat up the bits of shells.

smile.png

I toss my shells into a plastic bowl, let them sit till they dry, then transfer to a ziplock baggie, I don't bake mine or nuke them...then I just crush them up and feed back...simple

Chickens eating eggs because you feed them shells is a myth. Its actually quite the opposite they often will pick the shells because there craving calcium. I feed my chickens shells all the time and they never pick there eggs.

Quote:
It was the baking to cook the raw egg that the OP was questioning. I started microwaving them because that is what I read on here somewhere should be done. I might skip that step if it is not needed. I do agree with what you said about picking eggs because they need calcium.

@SLSwope - I usually break them up with my hands till they're about 1/4 inch, but I had so many after Thanksgiving that I used my food processor (it was already out and had just been used for piecrust.). The food processor broke them up to smaller pieces but I doubt you have to go that small. Mine peck at the shells anyway.

I so the same as Alien Chick, goes in chicken scrap bowl and tossed to them. The seem to like it when they are crushed.

My impression has been that people microwave or bake to dry them out so they're easier to crush. I don't cook mine, they dry naturally and then my son crushes them. No egg eaters here.

old.gif
clap.gif
I feed my egg shells back to my chickens and the only thing I do is crush them up.They chow down on it good and none goes to waste.The shells are smashed but I don't worry how fine they are.It doesn't seem to bother them that the shells aren't broken up.I have never microwaved them,Not saying that that isn't right;just Id do it that way.
jumpy.gif
D.gif

Back
Top Bottom