feeding fresh bread on occasion

can feeding chickens fresh bread on occasion cause blindness?

• pros

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • cons

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Susan Milliman

Hatching
Nov 10, 2017
Where I live the landlords have approximately 2 cocks and 12 hens. They are daily feed grain and water. On the weekends they are let out to roam from about 10am to 5 pm. Saturday and Sunday. I occasionally feed them appropriately 5 slices of fresh bread only on Saturday and Sunday. Now 2 of the chickens have went blind and I am being blamed. I have been living here for approximately 4 months and have been feeding them for only 2 months. Is the fact that I have been occasionally feeding them the bread caused the 2 to go blind???

Where I live the landlords have approximately 2 cocks and 12 hens. They are daily feed grain and water. On the weekends they are let out to roam from about 10am to 5 pm. Saturday and Sunday. I occasionally feed them appropriately 5 slices of fresh bread only on Saturday and Sunday. Now 2 of the chickens have went blind and I am being blamed. I have been living here for approximately 4 months and have been feeding them for only 2 months. Is the fact that I have been occasionally feeding them the bread caused the 2 to go blind???
It doesn't really sound logical...But I'm not a professional in the health parts of raising chickens. Maybe I can get a more experienced person like @aart or @chickens really to help you.

I never heard that it causes blindness...I don't think your to blame..Possibly deficient in nutrition that caused the blindness..?...They should take the Birds into a Vet first before pointing fingers at you...
Best of luck...

I doubt the bread alone would cause blindness,
but it's not a great thing to feed them.

Did you ask them if it was OK to feed their birds bread?
I know I wouldn't want someone feeding my animals something I wouldn't feed them myself.

Were their birds on your property...or was it an 'over the fence' kind of situation?

Yes....Feeding other people's animals is not a good idea...I have horses too and the property behind my pasture, the people have an apple tree...I gave permission to feed them some apples...Next thing I knew they were pouring pail fulls of apples to them...:th....I put a sign on the fence....No more apples please....:barnie

Yes....Feeding other people's animals is not a good idea...I have horses too and the property behind my pasture, the people have an apple tree...I gave permission to feed them some apples...Next thing I knew they were pouring pail fulls of apples to them...:th....I put a sign on the fence....No more apples please....:barnie
Were the horses ok?

Back
Top Bottom