Feeding Geese Unmedicated Chick Starter?

Wolf-Kim

Songster
11 Years
12 Years
Jan 25, 2008
Is it okay to feed adult geese unmedicated chick starter? I just wonder because that is usually what we get for almost all the birds and I wondered if it would be okay for them too?

-Kim

Last edited:
Yes, unmedicated feed starter is ok till they are about 8 weeks old; then you have to change them to crumbles (a lower protien count). Otherwise, you risk having Angel Wing - I learned from experience.

frow.gif

Kim,
Your geese are to old for starter, the protien is to high. We feed our adults regular layer mash and whole corn plus all the weeds from the garden we can pull.

Steve

Okay. We'll feed them whole corn and probably oats until I can pick up laying pellets.

-Kim

We feed our goslings and ducklings Mazuri Waterfowl Feed plus Purina Flock raiser or we look for a feed (such as broiler or game bird feed) which has a higher niacin content. The niacin is important for their leg strength. Later we start adding grains to their feed to reduce the protein content and by the time they are adults they receive a mix of equal parts of Flock Raiser, Recleaned Red Wheat, Whole cleaned Oats, and Mazuri Waterfowl Maintenance Feed. The Mazuri feeds float so they can be fed on the water.... the ducks and geese go nuts when we throw it in their pools.

Lower protein and niacin are both important to avoid angel wing and weak legs. If we have a duck that gets weak legs, we buy niacin at the health food store and add some to their feed or water for a couple weeks.

Chel

I start mine out on BlueSeal crumbles for chicks, ducks and geese. Around 4 - 6 weeks I switch them to Purina Flock Raiser. To be honest - if you have a place for them to graze they will do much better grazing then supplementing with feed.

Kim, in your other thread you said the weight on the geese was low. I would say it is fine to feed the starter for a week or so to give them a boost. They probably need it along with a grassy area to graze on.

Back
Top Bottom