Feeding greens to chooks

new world

In the Brooder
8 Years
Aug 24, 2011
Can you please tell me how many greens are TOO MANY greens for my girls? Is there a preferrable time to feed greens to them. Unfortunately my girls aren't able to free range but they have a good sized pen with sand on the ground which they scratch in and dust bath in. I am worried they are getting TOO MANY greens so aren't eating enough of the good stuff they should be eating. Please help.

As long as other feed, commercial layer feed and/or mixed grains, are available, the chickens will eat what they need to stay healthy. Greens are not all that deficient in protein as some think. Kale and cabbage are 14-16% and comfrey and aflalfa are even higher that that. The most important thing, I believe, is to provide a variety of food items. Chickens are pretty smart and will take what they need.

with my experience they can never eat too many. it seems with mine they will eat as much as they they like and i think its important for them to get thier greens. it seems impossible to for them to eat too much. unless they are really greedy!
lol.png

My understanding is that given access to unlimited fresh grass they will get 30% of their calories from it even when offered feed 24/7 so I don't think you have much to worry about.

Last edited:
Thank you to every one that replied to my query about greens. I was concerned because one of my lil girls laid soft shelled eggs for two days and I went to the Rural Supplies place in town and the lady said they may be receiving toooo many greens. I ensure they also have more than ample sufficiency of the good healthy stuff available at all time so you have all eased my mine that my girls are getting all their requirements and aren't silly and know what and when to eat so thank you again.

Quote:
If they are confined there is some of the "I must eat this now or my sister will eat it" competition going on. So it is theoretically possible for them to overeat greens once in awhile. Mine go hog wild when I dump grass clippings in there. It is GONE.

But I wouldn't worry about it. Just keep your grass clippings short (2-3") to prevent impacted crop. It really keeps the feed bill down, eh?

Back
Top Bottom