Feeding hens Insects?

Chef Pizghetti

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jun 17, 2012
Question for all of you experienced folks...

I have 4 birds that are housed in a 4'x8 coop/run. I've only had them about a month and plan to build a small chicken tractor for my back lawn to let them do some scratching/rooting. We have a good buffer between our place and the neighbors on both sides, but they both have dogs, so I don't want to let the birds roam without some sort of enclosure.

I have been supplementing their layer feed with fruit/veggie scraps and the occasional earthworm from my compost pile and they are consistently laying large, healthy eggs. Today I came across some slugs and ants while doing yard work and threw them into the run too. The girls seemed to love them. My question is - is it fine to feed the ants, bugs, slugs, etc that I come across to my hens? Anything I should not feed or be concerned about?

Thanks!

My hens free range, so they spend their whole day eating bugs. They love crickets, small grasshoppers, beetles, roly polies, whatever they can find! So far, mine don't like ants, but maybe some do. :)

Mine won't eat ants, and don't get the chance to eat slugs cause the ducks beat them to it! But yeah, chickens naturally eat bugs, small snakes, mice, frogs, etc.

Back
Top Bottom