Feeding mongooses to chickens (or rats, squirrels, whatever)

honomu808farmer

In the Brooder
Jul 8, 2017
Here on the farm we have a steady supply of mongooses (mungoose, mongeese, hah!) and they will kill chickens and snack on eggs. Literally can trap 1-2 per day. I'm always looking for free protein but since vermin often carry disease, I don't wanna feed em straight to the flock. Anybody else feed vermin to chickens? What precautions do you take? I trap the critters and drown them. Was thinking about boiling them in a pot, cooling and chopping them before giving them to the chickens. Suggestions?

IMG_3698.JPG
IMG_3700.JPG

Last edited:
seen my chickens take a couple of frogs apart ...as for a mono-goose ...can't tell .. but i'm sure protein is protein at the end of the day ...try it -then post ..like to know how it turns out ... (the student becomes the master)

Hey fellow 808er!

I think this is an intriguing and creative idea, but will probably take some more research and maybe even experimentation. I know for a fact similar things have certainly been done (probably extensively in the past), but hazy on the specifics.

It can be hard to get chickens to try eating something so new and exotic even if it is wholesome. Some find it to be more trouble than its worth. Old sources I've read warn about feeding raw meat of any sort to chickens because it may encourage cannibalism, and it also poses more disease risk, so i think cooking makes sense. Some people say chickens can be reluctant to eat things with hair on them too. Some people might feed the carcass to grubs or maggots to convert it into a more convenient and palatable feed with less hassle (all chickens LOVE grubs and maggots), but you have to be aware of how to avoid botulism. I would also suggest caution in general regarding what the mongoose may have been eating or getting into...

I would put in a word against drowning as a killing method. Evidence suggests it is not a very humane way to go. a quick kill would be preferable--perhaps something like a quick thrust to the head with a hawaiian sling fishing spear or some other quick and overkill trauma to the head (don't use lead pellets or bullets because you def don't want to risk chickens swallowing lead, and besides, we hardly need more lead polution around these days, anyway!)?

Last edited:
From what I've read, maggot bucket or skin it and boil it. Outside propane burners work or a pot on the campfire to save propane. Rocket stove even.

I've given kitchen scraps to the birds after cooking without issues. A squirrels internal organs were given fresh and didn't last long. The dogs weren't happy, but they got the rest of the squirrel.

I say try it. I know I would.

Thanks for the input all. I'm thinkin, freeze a few until I get enough to warrant firing up a pot of water... Low boil em well done and run em through an extra large meat grinder whole. I don't think the kids are gonna mistake this yummy treat for an otter pop! Will report back...
IMG_3701.JPG

IMG_3702.JPG

If you think that hanging up a raw cabbage in your coop is a great way to keep your flock entertained, try suspending a fresh road killed rabbett then stand back and watch the fun.

WARNING!!!! Meat as well as vegetable foods can go bad in warm temperatures. This can result in an epidemic of Botulism. Botulism is one of, if not the most deadly toxin on this planet. The Botulism organism can only live and reproduce in the absence of oxygen.

My flock of hens completely devoured a skunk in under 24 hours to include the skunk's stink. Other than a few black or white hairs the largest part of the skunk I could find was a small piece of its skull cap about the size of a US quarter dollar.

I shot a few squirrels, and after I cleaned them, I let the chickens have the guts, head, and rib cage. They picked at them for a minute and then went on. The next day, when the maggots were on, the chickens were all over cleaning up the fresh grubs.

Back
Top Bottom