Feeding Wild Birds

Woodpeckers will peck/drum on anything that makes a sound as a sort of territorial display. There is a hollow tree in the West hedgerow that they love to drum on.
I didn't know that. Thanks, Sour! Not sure if it's the same one every year, but he's been there 3 years in a row. I'd think he'd be ringing his own bell :confused:

I haven't exactly noticed this, though I don't feed wild birds for now, and instead opt for bird watching. :confused: Bird populations seem to be relatively on par with previous years here in Ohio.

I've been seeing Mockingbirds, Siskins, House Finches, Juncos, Blue Jays, Mourning Doves, Short-eared Owls, Kestrels, Horned Larks (by the fifties!), Downy Woodpeckers, Red-bellied Woodpeckers, Song Sparrows, White-throated Sparrows, and American Tree Sparrows, as well as all the usual hawks and junk birds. From what I've been hearing through the grape vine, some individuals are still spotting the occasional WARBLER. :eek:

Just look at this narcissistic cutie I saw yesterday -
DSCN1263.JPG

DSCN1287.JPG

~Alex

Last edited:
I suspect that weather patterns may be having a bigger effect than a local disease. Today is the first time that I have seen a Gray Catbird here this late in the year.
full

full

The normal birds are here now too. Last year was totally different weather patterns and totally different local bird population at this time of year. Last year was the first winter that the Juncos were here all winter along with a lone Mountain Chickadee.
BEAUTIFUL photography! :eek::love :clap Not to mention the extent of my love for Catbirds. :)

~Alex

Alexandra 33 great to see you posting beyond what "Breed or Gender is this."
Wild birds are one of my greatest passions, and many may not realize it in the wake of an obsession with domesticated birds. :love Therefore, whenever there's mention of them, expect me to show up! ;) So good to see you, too, DD. :hugs

~Alex

Back
Top Bottom