Feeling Guilty - Can't Free Range as Much

May 29, 2019
So, our new neighbors have a large dog who they claim they have an invisible fence and e-collar for, but they've been here over a week and still don't have anything set up to keep him on the property (though they have plenty of time to buy ATVs, and ride them all over the property all day). We've already caught the dog in our yard multiple times, most recently, for about 20-30 minutes in the morning before anyone came to get him (thankfully we have a hot wire fence around the coop/run, though he didn't make contact--he just sat and watched them for a while before moving on). I have the sensation that the neighbors may not ever set up their invisible fence, and that we'll always have to be on guard about the dog coming down to our property. They rationalize that he doesn't seem to be very prey driven because he recently tried to play with a bunny but didn't try to kill it. They've said they think he'll be fine. I'll admit that he's friendly and on the calmer side--but still big and has never been around animals besides dogs.

While the dog is nice, and might be fine around my chickens, I don't know and I'm not willing to risk it. In my book, unless a dog is raised to be good with chickens, it will kill chickens--perhaps accidentally at first, but that might unleash something internal. Unfortunately, this means I can no longer supervise free range my flock like I used to. When I do, I've got my eyes on their property the whole time and can't relax, which takes away from the peace and joy I used to feel with them. So, the poor chickens, who are used to ~ 1 hour daily free ranging are only getting half that (or sometimes none) depending on what's going on.

Will they be okay? They definitely want to come out into the yard with me and crowd around the front of the run whenever I'm out, dying for their free range time. The five of them have a spacious run (10 x 20) with logs, steps, a dust bathing area, and multiple feeding stations. Do you think they'll get used to being cooped up more? I worry about the quality of their lives, since they're used to so much more.

I would be okay with them bringing the dog down on leash to train him around chickens, but I don't know if that'll happen. Still, I wish we didn't have to worry about neighbors' dogs ever coming onto our property. We have a dog (who loves our chickens) and he's never a problem for our neighbors. Our other neighbors also have dogs, and they've never been down to our property. It makes me so annoyed and helpless feeling. I don't want to create conflict, but IMHO this is basic responsibility.

Okay, I'm rambling. In short, how do I ensure my chickens who are used to supervised free-ranging daily, and can no longer do so because of a neighbor's dog, are still able to have a good life?

the poor chickens, who are used to ~ 1 hour daily free ranging are only getting half that (or sometimes none) depending on what's going on.

The five of them have a spacious run (10 x 20) with logs, steps, a dust bathing area, and multiple feeding stations.

The chickens should be fine. Yes, they should get used to the new situation. It will not even be much different for them, because the free ranging was only a small part of the time they were awake each day.

how do I ensure my chickens who are used to supervised free-ranging daily, and can no longer do so because of a neighbor's dog, are still able to have a good life?
You don't need to do anything different. But if you really want to do something, consider expanding the run or fencing a big chunk of your property. You can also make an extra effort to put things in their run, like piles of weeds or clumps of sod or dead leaves in the fall-- things they might otherwise find when they are free ranging, but that you can bring to them instead.

I would be okay with them bringing the dog down on leash to train him around chickens, but I don't know if that'll happen.
Depending on how much effort you want to put into the matter, maybe you could offer to do that kind of training with their dog.

Still, I wish we didn't have to worry about neighbors' dogs ever coming onto our property. We have a dog (who loves our chickens) and he's never a problem for our neighbors. Our other neighbors also have dogs, and they've never been down to our property. It makes me so annoyed and helpless feeling. I don't want to create conflict, but IMHO this is basic responsibility.
I agree. Each dog owner should be responsible for keeping their dog on their own property. But if they don't, then unfortunately you are stuck dealing with the consequences (keeping your chickens in their run, or building a fence, or training their dog, or calling Animal Control, or whatever else you end up deciding.)

Truthfully it is you that is missing the time out, not the chickens. You who is feeling the stress of the dog coming on your property. They should keep their dog home.

However while your chickens may complain, they really are pretty distractible, and it will not hurt them a bit to stay in the coop/run, nor will effect their quality of life. Where as the dog might effect their life span.

Mrs K

Truthfully it is you that is missing the time out, not the chickens. You who is feeling the stress of the dog coming on your property. They should keep their dog home.

However while your chickens may complain, they really are pretty distractible, and it will not hurt them a bit to stay in the coop/run, nor will effect their quality of life. Where as the dog might effect their life span.

Mrs K
This is a really insightful way of putting it. Thank you.

Yes, it has been stressful for me.

The chickens should be fine. Yes, they should get used to the new situation. It will not even be much different for them, because the free ranging was only a small part of the time they were awake each day.

You don't need to do anything different. But if you really want to do something, consider expanding the run or fencing a big chunk of your property. You can also make an extra effort to put things in their run, like piles of weeds or clumps of sod or dead leaves in the fall-- things they might otherwise find when they are free ranging, but that you can bring to them instead.

Depending on how much effort you want to put into the matter, maybe you could offer to do that kind of training with their dog.

I agree. Each dog owner should be responsible for keeping their dog on their own property. But if they don't, then unfortunately you are stuck dealing with the consequences (keeping your chickens in their run, or building a fence, or training their dog, or calling Animal Control, or whatever else you end up deciding.)
You raise really valuable points here--thank you for taking the time to interact with my concerns.

I think I'll work on enriching their run, and, perhaps offer to train their dog down the road. A fence has been on our bucket list for a while, so that's still in the cards once we get enough money together.

Our other neighbors also have dogs, and they've never been down to our property.
Any time you free range you take the risk of loss. That could be from a wild animal (many people would be surprised how many wild predators live in urban or suburban areas). Dogs are a real risk, including any strays. I've lost 13 chickens in two dog attacks when people abandoned dogs and left them on their own. You never know when you could get an attack.

IMHO this is basic responsibility.
In general, I cannot legislate or demand other people's actions short of calling animal control or the police and that is usually reactionary, not proactive. I consider it my basic responsibility to protect my animals. I'm the one that chooses to keep them so I should take care of them.

how do I ensure my chickens who are used to supervised free-ranging daily, and can no longer do so because of a neighbor's dog, are still able to have a good life?
I think others have answered this quite well. They are much better off than chickens at factory farms.

Any time you free range you take the risk of loss. That could be from a wild animal (many people would be surprised how many wild predators live in urban or suburban areas). Dogs are a real risk, including any strays. I've lost 13 chickens in two dog attacks when people abandoned dogs and left them on their own. You never know when you could get an attack.

In general, I cannot legislate or demand other people's actions short of calling animal control or the police and that is usually reactionary, not proactive. I consider it my basic responsibility to protect my animals. I'm the one that chooses to keep them so I should take care of them.

I think others have answered this quite well. They are much better off than chickens at factory farms.
Thanks for your response. Currently we have a warm rapport with them, so I'm working on trying to help train their dog around chickens and I'm also looking into getting a fence installed, to cover my bases. They do have an e-collar.

They plan to get chickens soon, so getting their dog trained will benefit all, and we have experience from having trained our husky/malamute/GSD mix (you'd think it were impossible but he was great). We'll see how things go--I know when it comes to prey drive, some dogs are lost causes, some are easy, and everything in between. So far, he seems curious about the chickens (the dog and chickens stared at each other for a while when he ran down here, before he wandered away to sniff other things) but so far hasn't shown evidence that he's obsessed with getting to them. He didn't even try to touch or push through the hot polywire strands to get closer to the run. He's also, apparently, run up on a bunny, but rather than trying to get or kill it, he pounced around it like he was wanting to play. So, I think if we start training before he can get something/activate prey drive more, there may be hope.

Can neighbors split the cost of the section of fencing that you need between you and them? Leash laws don't go away with ecollars. Dog issues are inevitable when proper fencing isn't there. This might be one of the only times I'd say no to free ranging because I am very in favor of the benefits. But I really wouldn't consider it without fencing. You could cut cost by installing yourself. Also, something like a split rail fence system with fencing wire may be a cheaper yet very attractive option to all wood fence. Cost of this fence system for 1/2acre was significantly lower than all wood, keeps all dogs out.
IMG_6348.JPG

Back
Top Bottom