Feeling wistful...

OCeggs23

Songster
Feb 8, 2017
Orange County, CA
.... my 4 pullets (11 months old now) haven't been laying since November. I'm chalking it up to their molt and winter blues. I've had to buy eggs TWICE now (thank goodness for Costco!) but I'm dreaming of Spring and when I can bust out my skelter again!
Eggs1.jpg Eggs2.jpg

I'm in the same boat... and one of my chickens has been teasing me with the occasional egg song. I'm pretty sure they're giggling every time I go running out all hopeful for eggs!

My Wellie did the egg song a couple days ago and I got so excited! But it was lies. :hit LOL.
Wishing us both patience and a spring full of eggs!!

I am down south, but my old lady (7 year old EE) graced us with a beautiful blue egg Christmas day and has continued to lay every 2 or 3 days since. I think it is about to come to an end again, as her comb is becoming a little pale again.

My Wellie did the egg song a couple days ago and I got so excited! But it was lies. :hit LOL.
Wishing us both patience and a spring full of eggs!!

Pretty sure it was my Welsummer too, she's the usual culprit. Of course every time I looked out the window they were all calmly just sitting there, looking back at me.

It's winter!!! I'm not pleased either!
I have 37 hens and pullets, including some older ladies. I'm getting 9 to 12 eggs per day, and there's a light in the coop, 4am to 8am every day.
If you have very few girls, and no extra lighting, it's not suprising that they are taking a winter break. Most of my eggs are from my spring pullets, and several of my hens are molting. It's winter!!!
Mary

It's winter!!! I'm not pleased either!
I have 37 hens and pullets, including some older ladies. I'm getting 9 to 12 eggs per day, and there's a light in the coop, 4am to 8am every day.
If you have very few girls, and no extra lighting, it's not suprising that they are taking a winter break. Most of my eggs are from my spring pullets, and several of my hens are molting. It's winter!!!
Mary
That's why I thought my story about my oldest girl, who really doesn't lay to speak of anymore, decided to lay a few eggs during the coldest part of the year was funny. We laughed about it being her Christmas gift to us. :lau Good old Maude, she has a cushy life, I guess she appreciates it.

Back
Top Bottom