Feet Medical Emergency!

GIFC2020

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jul 13, 2014

Was doing a weekly health check on my chickens and found this huge lump on one of my blue cochin bantam roosters feet. I am not new to chickens and I have never seen anything like it. Does anybody know what this is and how to treat it? Any help would be appreciated!

Hope this is better.

I am sorry but I have no clue what that could be. Do you have a avian vet near you? You could try soaking his foot in warm Epsom salt water to see if it might help. I hope someone can help you.

Thanks Orpington Crazy, I consulted an avian vet and he says it is a severe case of bumble foot and can luckily be treated.

You can see some bumblefoot in the pink spot in the last picture, but the yellow exudate and abscessed area look pretty serious. Yellow exudate around joints sometimes is seen in mycoplasma synoviae. Hopefully, bumblefoot is all it is. I would soak that foot daily in warm epsom salts to help with inflammation and pain, as well as follow your vet's instructions for treatment. Antibiotics sure would be a good thing to try.

Back
Top Bottom