Female duck bully?

DuckyGems

Hatching
Nov 9, 2023
I have recently bought three Welsh Harlequin ducks from a lovely agricultural college. They are all female: one is from last year's spring hatch, and two are from this year's (so just a few months old and not yet at full weight). They all lived together in a big flock at the college, but since bringing them home, dynamics have gotten a bit odd...

The two younger ducks (again, both female) have become good buddies and do everything together (swimming in the pond, foraging, etc.) They are also quite friendly with us. The older female seems to be EITHER avoiding the younger ones by choice OR has been rejected by them, as we often find her off on her own. She is also very bossy and bullish with the younger ones and tells them off for coming near when she is eating, or if they are in the pond with her, she'll peck at them.

I've started to worry because the least assertive of the young ducks is losing a lot of feather around her collar because the old duck is generally being mean and picking on her. Has anyone experienced similar behaviour amongst females and does it sort itself out as the young girls get bigger? I'm starting to worry that I may need to rehome the older duck if she's becoming isolated and aggressive with the younger ones...thanks!

I have recently bought three Welsh Harlequin ducks from a lovely agricultural college. They are all female: one is from last year's spring hatch, and two are from this year's (so just a few months old and not yet at full weight). They all lived together in a big flock at the college, but since bringing them home, dynamics have gotten a bit odd...

The two younger ducks (again, both female) have become good buddies and do everything together (swimming in the pond, foraging, etc.) They are also quite friendly with us. The older female seems to be EITHER avoiding the younger ones by choice OR has been rejected by them, as we often find her off on her own. She is also very bossy and bullish with the younger ones and tells them off for coming near when she is eating, or if they are in the pond with her, she'll peck at them.

I've started to worry because the least assertive of the young ducks is losing a lot of feather around her collar because the old duck is generally being mean and picking on her. Has anyone experienced similar behaviour amongst females and does it sort itself out as the young girls get bigger? I'm starting to worry that I may need to rehome the older duck if she's becoming isolated and aggressive with the younger ones...thanks!
I'd just, for now, make sure the older duck is kept away from the younger ones.

Put them side by side for a coulpe weeks where they can interact but not touch. I have 4 Runner females who at 8 weeks old and the older group of Runners will chase them away. They did spend 2 weeks in side a dog X pen so they could meet the older ones so these older ones know these girls are young and can be pickled on. It's always best when we change up flock dynamics to do a see-not-touch area for awhile.

Put them side by side for a coulpe weeks where they can interact but not touch. I have 4 Runner females who at 8 weeks old and the older group of Runners will chase them away. They did spend 2 weeks in side a dog X pen so they could meet the older ones so these older ones know these girls are young and can be pickled on. It's always best when we change up flock dynamics to do a see-not-touch area for awhile.
Thanks for your advice! I might have to rethink my set-up a bit to do that. But is it ok to take one duck off by herself?

Back
Top Bottom