Female Peking having trouble getting around

Ok, here are two pics of her legs - one of her right and one of her left.
I believe she is a Jumbo Pekin. I am presently waiting for some arthopower vitamins - should be here today. Also going to try the Epsom salt if she will let us.
I feed them Purina duck grower - special food for ducks. She is eating normally - also you would never know anything was wrong while she is swimming.

Let me know what you think! I am starting to believe that she sprained her legs due to the male jumping on her in her house and on the grass / pavers. He is much bigger and definitely weighs more. Just fyi - when we released her the first time in the brook, I believe it was her left leg that was injured the most. Not sure if she healed completely...also it appears that the left foot may turn in a little causing her to trip.

Ok, here are two pics of her legs - one of her right and one of her left.
I believe she is a Jumbo Pekin. I am presently waiting for some arthopower vitamins - should be here today. Also going to try the Epsom salt if she will let us.
I feed them Purina duck grower - special food for ducks. She is eating normally - also you would never know anything was wrong while she is swimming.

Let me know what you think! I am starting to believe that she sprained her legs due to the male jumping on her in her house and on the grass / pavers. He is much bigger and definitely weighs more. Just fyi - when we released her the first time in the brook, I believe it was her left leg that was injured the most. Not sure if she healed completely...also it appears that the left foot may turn in a little causing her to trip.

It's def swollen and possible the drake jumping on her could have caused it but just being Jumbo has it's draw backs too, weight on those legs can be hard on them. Very important when having Jumbo Pekins to make sure they don't get over weight. But hopefully with the artho powder and warm soaks will help alot. She may not have gotten the amount of Niacin B3 she needed when a young duckling and it has caused her feet to turn in there is info on Metzers website about niacin def. but you know you can still add some brewers yeast to their feed it still may help. She may not like to have her legs soaked but your bigger than her. lol Mine don't like it either but if I feel it will help they get them soaked.

ok great. I will order the brewers yeast as well. I read about oregano....do you think she would benefit from that? I sprinkled a little on her food.

ok great. I will order the brewers yeast as well. I read about oregano....do you think she would benefit from that? I sprinkled a little on her food.
Oregano is used as a natural antibiotic I actually add dried oregano to my flocks Fermented feed, I don't see it hurting her.

Make sure you order Brewers yeast or Nutritional yeast. I use Vitacost for most my ordering .There is also spent yeast from making beer that you don't want. It's called brewers yeast too.

Your doing all you can I'll be praying it helps and gets her back on her feet. What is her name?

I am ordering the yeast now.
Her name is Deliliah
smile.png

I soaked her feet in the epsom salt and even massaged them lightly. She kept trying to drink it and may have gotten a tiny bit.
I will do it again tomorrow with my husband so he can hold her head better.

I think she is improving. It's been 1 week and 3 days since I've separated her from Samson. I keep her in a small fenced off area next to the pond so she's really resting well. Samson sits next to her all day on the other side of the chicken wire. Also, just now she tried to join Samson on his side of the house - LOL! I was like NO WAY!!!! I had to pick her up and put her on her side of the screen!! All the while he was breathing at me like a bull! They are so funny and oh so cute, but I will only let them play together when I'm watching carefully.

I feel better because I can actually see what the problem is now. A week ago we had no idea - all she did was sit on the grass. She is walking further now before sitting down.
I have a good feeling & can't thank you enough for your help.

Keep you posted!

This was taken before Samson got weird! There is a fireplace screen dividing it into two equal parts now.

I am ordering the yeast now.
Her name is Deliliah
smile.png

I soaked her feet in the epsom salt and even massaged them lightly. She kept trying to drink it and may have gotten a tiny bit.
I will do it again tomorrow with my husband so he can hold her head better.

I think she is improving. It's been 1 week and 3 days since I've separated her from Samson. I keep her in a small fenced off area next to the pond so she's really resting well. Samson sits next to her all day on the other side of the chicken wire. Also, just now she tried to join Samson on his side of the house - LOL! I was like NO WAY!!!! I had to pick her up and put her on her side of the screen!! All the while he was breathing at me like a bull! They are so funny and oh so cute, but I will only let them play together when I'm watching carefully.

I feel better because I can actually see what the problem is now. A week ago we had no idea - all she did was sit on the grass. She is walking further now before sitting down.
I have a good feeling & can't thank you enough for your help.

Keep you posted!

This was taken before Samson got weird! There is a fireplace screen dividing it into two equal parts now.
All Drakes get weird so Samson is not different it's those darn hormones. lol I know in winter it's hard to do and hopefully his urges to mate will wane any way but once breeding season cranks up in the spring if you can give them a pool with water that will help alot to keep her from putting undo stress on her legs. The heavier the duck the better it is to mate in water. You mentioned that you took them to the pond and there were other Pekins there. I know you know this now but multiple drakes can literally drown a duck with all trying to mate at once. [That is a precious pic]. And I am so glad you got her legs soaked good for you. That is awesome your seeing improvement lets hope by end of this coming week it will really be improved. I look forward to updates..

I think the Epsom salt & vitamins are working! She is coming along slowly. To the right of me is the pond we made for them...I have a good feeling now!!
THANK YOU!!!!!

Very cute pic of you both. I am so happy she is doing better. Thanks so much for the update and the pic. You did a great job of nursing her back to health.

Patty

Back
Top Bottom