fencing for free range chickens

sandy sea

Crowing
16 Years
Mar 19, 2008
Rogersville MO
My new coop and run is now complete. I would like to also be able to let the chickens and pot bellied pig out of their run without my dogs getting them. I got a quote from a chain link fence company for $ 1795.00 for 146 f lenght X 5 feet high. Any other ideas for a good fence to keep chickens and pig from dogs. I have not moved my chicken to their new coop, but the baby pot bellied pig has been living it it for a week. Is it OK to keep the pig with the chickens? Thanks Sandy

Well, we keep the dogs 'away from the chickens' instead of the other way around. We bought an electronic fence pulse machine ($200) and a wireless radio collar for each of the dogs ($50ish). We plugged it in the corner of the living room, and set the radius so the dogs can't roam all the way to the chicken house. The chickens have learned to stay out of the dogs' area.

I think your potbellied big will be fine with chickens. Ours had a great time living in a pen with 3 little goats. But you might check on diseases that could be passed between the chooks and pig.

Quote:
I second the link above... I just ordered mine from Premier1 and received it in 2 days using standard shipping. The fence (164' long) 4' high and the solar recharging battery charger came to 600.00 with shipping.. Still a lot of $$$ but it should do the trick... oh and it's mobile if you want to move it later.

WagarFamilyFarm.

Keep your fencing very tight and up off the ground. Solar chargers + netting don't work very well where I live because the grass grows so quickly. So, hopefully it's drier wher eyou are.

I know, would have been nice to hear that before you bought it right?

Back
Top Bottom