Fencing sheep

Dm3223

Chirping
Oct 6, 2021
Hey all I’m looking to get a couple sheep on a fenced in half an acre zone. Just curious about a couple things. Would that be a big enough area for them and fencing wise exactly how hard are they to keep in?
Could you just use a 4 foot welded wire fence with t posts and corner posts?
All info would be appreciated !
Thanks

I have welded wire with t-posts for my sheep and it's only 3 feet high and it keeps them in. Sorry, I can't help with pasture size. But I recommend reading up on parasite prevention - rotational grazing, regular fecal tests, only worming if they have higher worm loads, etc. What breed of sheep are you planning on getting?

Last edited:
I have welded wire with t-posts for my sheep and it's only 3 feet high and it keeps them in. Sorry, I can't help with pasture size. But I recommend reading up on parasite prevention - rotational grazing, regular fecal tests, only worming if they have higher worm loads, etc. What breed of sheep are you planning on getting?
Thanks for the info! I’m not too sure yet on a breed. any recommendation’s on nice ones to have just as pets? Not for meat or anything. What is your yearly routine for de worming , fecal tests and what not

Thanks for the info! I’m not too sure yet on a breed. any recommendation’s on nice ones to have just as pets? Not for meat or anything. What is your yearly routine for de worming , fecal tests and what not
I recommend Katahdins - no shearing, very friendly, and very parasite resistant.

We have them checked and vaccinated by the vet once a year, trim their hooves and check their membranes every few months, and bring a fecal to the vet to be tested at about once a year (usually in the Spring) and any time they're showing signs of worms (weight loss, clumpy poop, pale membranes). We only deworm when the fecal test shows that they need it. Our Katahdins have been very healthy and they went about 5 years in a row without needing to be dewormed.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom