Fencing

JoPoKa

In the Brooder
Nov 7, 2017
Canada
Hi everyone, a quick question on building your open runs

Up here in Canada, our main predators are hawks/eagles, raccoons, foxes, weasels, skunks; pretty much everything big and small.

We will be setting up the large open run next spring and we have regular galvanized fencing (the kind you see at schools and parks) to deter larger predators, which will go about a 1-ft underground. For the smaller and digging pests, we are doubling up the larger fencing with finer mesh fencing that has smaller 'holes' so weasels can't squeeze through, along with putting it in the ground to discourage them if they decide to dig. I know they'll make it through the larger fencing loops if they choose to dig, hence doubling up under gound, too.

Can we use the plastic mesh fencing? Or should we use wire mesh? It will be going 1-2ft underground and 2-3ft above ground just in case a weasel decides digging is too annoying with the mesh and it wants to try to jump the mesh above ground and sneak through the larger fencing? Does that make sense?

1st pic is the larger fencing for foxes, skunks
2nd pic is to fortify the larger fencing for the weasels

Don't worry about aerial attacks, we got that covered with LOTS of tree cover and brightly-colored string crisscrossing all over the open areas to freak them out.

Thanks in advance everyone!

Attachments

• chainlinkfencegalvanized03.jpg
    chainlinkfencegalvanized03.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 17
  • 91rsCs3RzfL._SL1500_.jpg
    91rsCs3RzfL._SL1500_.jpg
    595.1 KB · Views: 13
Our run is built of 1/2 in. metal hardware cloth, approx. 8' high, with 1/2" plastic hardware cloth over the top for hawks, etc. The hardware cloth around the coop is bent/buried about 12 to 18 inches out from the run with landscape tiles over top. Nothing is digging in there. As for the door to the run, we have landscape tiles under the door to deter anything digging there, either.

***Edited***
The little #$&^#%s !!!!! :eek: Shoooooot! We even made sure to put hardware cloth along the bottom of the coop so if critters go underneath and manage to chew through the plywood (Which I doubt), they'll have not only two layers of hardware cloth but also insulation and yet ANOTHER plywood to boot.

Is the big fencing even worth putting up then? I'm not sure what to do now

***Edited***
The little #$&^#%s !!!!! :eek: Shoooooot! We even made sure to put hardware cloth along the bottom of the coop so if critters go underneath and manage to chew through the plywood (Which I doubt), they'll have not only two layers of hardware cloth but also insulation and yet ANOTHER plywood to boot.

Is the big fencing even worth putting up then? I'm not sure what to do now
You could put up your fence, then run hot wire across the top of it. Or even in the middle of it so if they climb they get hit by it.

Before I did all the work of burying fence and stuff, I make a few phone calls and inquire about some rock prices by the dump truck load and a load of concrete. If ya put rock 6-12" deep at the bottom of the fence, or made forms with 1x6" boards for the concrete ya might just save a bunch of money and labor in the process. Either will stop anything from digging and won't have to be replaced near as often....if ya use concrete, then after it sets ya can use the boards for other projects....just don't put the fencing in the concrete, put it behind the concrete. I prefer rocks, but depending on cost there where ya are it may be less expensive.

Back
Top Bottom