Fermented Feed Feeder

The smaller Chinese made feeders that are basically a lid and a 5" x 14" x 5" deep feed pan might work well for this IF you put the fermented feed into plastic containers to set inside.

There was an earlier mention NOT to use fermented feed in a galvanized feeder and I want to echo that. Acidic food stuffs need to be isolated even in tin cans by a polymer liner to prevent the acid from eating into the metals. It not only weakens the can or metal feeder, the acid makes all sorts of heavy metals bio available. The zinc in galvanized sheet metal might not be a danger as zinc is an essential element in most critter's diet but is there any solder with lead content?

Some oils, the oil in your skin as an example, also can trigger heavy metals into a bio available state as can soaps and cleaners which usually have some sort of alkaline in the product. Altering pH levels can turn a locked away heavy metal which has oxidized into a safer form of the element into the original element which can be absorbed by the skin or gut.

Oxidization is cool as hell. Ever read a sci fi story or watch a movie where the atmosphere is a deadly corrosive mix? Well, that is earth. LOL A lot of metals cannot exist in their pure state due to the oxygen in the air so the oxygen reacts with the metal to form an "oxide", like rust on iron, which forms a barrier between the metal and the oxygen that slows down or stops the oxidation which is a very slow fire, releasing about as much heat as it would if it burned rapidly, just released over a very, very, long time. Hand warmers take advantage of this reaction as do oxygen absorbers used for food preservation. The first produces heat, the former depletes the oxygen.

Love these ideas. I was thinking of a trough feeder that strains the liquid out so I could pour and go without pouring it on the ground and not having to strain it first. Anyone seen anything like that? I was thinking I may have to make something.

This isn't critter-proof, but critters don't like it as it's silicone so if they sit on the edge, it jiggles.

These were a set of three I bought last year for the ferment. I like them because I can turn them inside out in the snow or grass and swipe them pretty clean. These are on a tray, but usually I carry them by pinching the sides together. They are dishwasher safe too.

View attachment 3707003
This is great. Would you be able to share a link?

This isn't critter-proof, but critters don't like it as it's silicone so if they sit on the edge, it jiggles.

These were a set of three I bought last year for the ferment. I like them because I can turn them inside out in the snow or grass and swipe them pretty clean. These are on a tray, but usually I carry them by pinching the sides together. They are dishwasher safe too.

View attachment 3707003

Love these ideas. I was thinking of a trough feeder that strains the liquid out so I could pour and go without pouring it on the ground and not having to strain it first. Anyone seen anything like that? I was thinking I may have to make something.
Let me know if you come up with something because that sounds like a great idea!

Back
Top Bottom