Fermented feed feeder

Pics
I got this idea from Bee and it's worked well for us:

At first, I just used the three-foot piece of vinyl gutter on the ground. It worked amazingly well, they didn't tip it over as often as I thought they would. Recently I added the wooden ends and brace strip to make it into a more stable feeder. They can't tip it over at all now and should last a long time.

As Bee mentioned, don't use galvanized gutters, as the acids in the fermented feed will leach out the metals.

I got this idea from Bee and it's worked well for us:

At first, I just used the three-foot piece of vinyl gutter on the ground. It worked amazingly well, they didn't tip it over as often as I thought they would. Recently I added the wooden ends and brace strip to make it into a more stable feeder. They can't tip it over at all now and should last a long time.

As Bee mentioned, don't use galvanized gutters, as the acids in the fermented feed will leach out the metals.

Yes, this is the wooden thing I was talking about from the FF for meat birds thread.

I wonder if a large ceramic pot with a built in water catcher would work? Then a lid on top? Anyone tried this?

Or even a plastic one. Sounds like a great idea! I'd venture to say the holes might have to be enlarged a bit to let the feed flow freely into the tray, but it sounds like it could work. If you do it, could you tell us all how it did?

Well just set up this idea. I just did a 5 gallon bucket with a 45 degree angled elbow hopefully it doesn't go everywhere
1f61e.png
. That might be gross :sick.

Yeah I have had ff everywhere a few times. Usually when I mixed it up in the house. All over the kitchen counter. I always seem to forget that it exspands and never leave it space to do so.

Hey Hen,

Just thought I would stop in and see if anyone has come up with a brilliant feeder for fermented feed in during the winter months in colder climates. I never did make one of these buckets, but since then I got to thinking about fermenting. So my problem is there is no space indoor to ferment so the buckets freeze. Anyway, I was wondering about the idea of a seed mat hooked up to a thermal cube that your fermenting bucket could sit on. Not sure if the seed mat gets too warm for the feed. One day someone is going to come up with an automatic feeder for fermented feed that doesn't freeze and isn't messy!

Last edited:
The holy Grail lol
I believe seed mats only heat 10 degrees above the ambient temp, at least that's what mine say they do. So depending on how cold it gets in the spot your fermenting that might be a great solution... Maybe a seed mat under a Rubbermaid bin would work in your climate.
I have not tried it yet but I really want to see if FF can be put in a no waste feeder... I'll have to wait for spring though, too cold in the coop for bulk FF now.

Last edited:
The holy Grail lol
I believe seed mats only heat 10 degrees above the ambient temp, at least that's what mine say they do. So depending on how cold it gets in the spot your fermenting that might be a great solution... Maybe a seed mat under a Rubbermaid bin would work in your climate.
I have not tried it yet but I really want to see if FF can be put in a no waste feeder... I'll have to wait for spring though, too cold in the coop for bulk FF now.

The Rubbermaid bin is an excellent suggestion, just might have to try it. I saw a thread where someone used a seed mat on a thermal cube and lined their nest boxes so the eggs don't freeze. Pretty amazing. Another thought I had today was how about a no-waste bucket on top of a heated dog bowl filled with sand, since we would put the bucket in our run. Then the feeder would never freeze. Might have to set up a ferment station and give it a whirl. We have a few extra seed mats around....

Sweet, Id like to hear about the results. Rubbermaid tote is my favourite thing to make FF in so far. I could do a whole bag of feed in one bucket. My flock is far smaller right now though, that would be over kill.

Back
Top Bottom