Fermented feed feeder

Pics

hennible

Crowing
5 Years
Jul 14, 2014
Central British Columbia
I was pretty turned off of fermented feed because of going out multiple times a day to dish it up for the birds. I have two flocks and two coops, 2 to open 2 to close that's enough coop trips for me. Adding in changing water, filling the feeders ( every few days ) and collecting eggs I did not feel like increasing my work load so no FF for me....
Then I had a thought after seeing this thread https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...te-5-gallon-25-feed-bucket-feeder-for-about-3 Maybe I could make a FF feeder and make my feed in it while the birds feed from them. Another down fall of FF for me was making it indoors ( ok well my husband didn't want it inside :rolleyes: ) and this feeder is taking care of all the things we didn't like about FF.
So for about a week and a half maybe two I have been using this

The PVC price cost $6.99 CDN. With my first feeder I used a household silicone, after 5 days the seal broke ( the wet feed proved to heavy in the pipe). my second feeder, which I made the day after the first, I used a marine silicone ( $20 or so ) the bond is holding well still.... I should have ruffed up the surfaces with sand paper... Well I will next time ;)
I've used 2 kinds of FF the first is just a warm water and feed mix, the other I tossed some "critical care" probiotic mix in. The latter mix matured much faster in the cool coop temps, say 3 days the first took around 6 to develop. Now when I go out in the morning I stir it and replace the lid, every 3 or so days I need to add a bit of water to keep it moving into the PVC ( I keep a small jug of water in each coop ). Once the FF really gets going you can't keep the lid sealed tight or the build up of gas pushes the food out before it can be eaten, and makes a mess. Holes in the lid would also help this, but as the feed level gets low the gas is helpful... I'll have to do a bit of a test run and see if holes are the way to go :)

Trace and cut your hole exactly if not smaller than the size of the pipe ( I used 3" PVC) as low as you can on your bucket. Mine is about an inch from the bottom.

Force the pipe into the hole, a flexible plastic bucket like the five gallon ice cream bucket I used makes this a bit easier... Pull the pipe into place say a half inch to an inch remaining inside the bucket. Make sure it's nice and level before you silicone it.
Run the silicone around both the external and internal seams of the hole, let it cure, and proceed with making your FF.

Now bring it out to you birds. This feeder works for both chickens and ducks, and its low enough for my bantam hen. It's not perfect, but for me it works. During the first few days while fermentation picks up I found that a little water sits atop the feed in the feeding pipe, I scoop it out and add it back into the main bucket when I stir the feed in the morning. And if your FF mix is a bit thin, get the lid on quick so it doesn't over flow!
Any thoughts on improvement would be appreciated.:D

Last edited:
In the winter, I ferment it inside, defeating one of my original reasons for trying this. Inside it ferments ( with the left overs in the bucket ) over night, outside when it was just above zero it took longer ( 4 days for a totally fresh batch, 2 with fermented leftovers )
In fall it was perfect for me, 4 buckets kept 28 chickens and 4 ducks fed for about two weeks. I just added Water from the hose every few days when I refilled water buckets and a quick stir was all I had to do until the bucket was down to 6" of feed, then add feed and water stir let the birds eat again. When it got colder I brought warm/hot water out and stirred that in. For most of the year I think it lightens my work load just by keeping the mess ( I'm messy ) out of the house. I'm not sure it's as efficient as I hoped, but I'm going to keep going for the year and see if I'm still happy with it. The big thing for me is the free choice feeding, having two little ones I can't get to the coop as much as I'd like. I would rather they can get there food on their own with out me ( When its really cold they also have access to dry feed from a no waste feeder ). It's not perfect, I've said that a lot but given time to work out the bugs I think it could cut the FF work load down to better suit mine and others needs. I also like the option of leaving for a night or two and the birds still having FF as they sure do prefer it over dry.
Oh you don't need to top the bucket up regularly with feed, with four buckets out it takes about 2 weeks before I add more feed, water needs to be added every three days ( or so ) to keep it flowing... Did that cover your questions? :)

Last edited:
Thanks for posting this thread and the ups and downs you had with trying to figure out how feed fermented food. I stopped fermenting once we got cold as we have no space inside where I can store my buckets for fermenting. Sounds like I might want to stick to trying to get my fodder stuff going. Thanks again

Ok, I've made mine.

I bought the 2" pvc pieces with adapters to make the ends threaded. The threaded part didn't matter I just wanted something smooth to push through the hole then connect the pvc pipes to. Then I didn't have to worry about sealing as much hole, just a small crack around the pipe.

I did 3 pipes to feed ~15 chickens. I'm waiting for it all to dry overnight then I'll test it out.

Here are the pieces I bought

They fit together like this.

Cut the holes (used an old cat litter container). You can see my hole saw was a little too small for the pvc so I used my dremel to finish off the circle. Caused it to not be perfect, but I think caulk will fill in the little spots.

With the small pieces in place and caulked

All together.

I also bought little caps that fit inside but aren't air tight to put on if the mice are a problem

There are some pretty neat designs but I kept my fermented feed container as simple as possible...
I use a 64 oz glass jar (stored the lid), strain the feed, put it outside, and they eat like they don't have constant access to dry food. Because there is a lip (bottle-necked sorta) the ladies eat every last bit without any getting outside. The glass makes it too heavy for them to knock over and they lick it completely clean. Should I feel the need to wash it, it gets rinsed and put in the dishwasher. No messing around come winter. With 12 birds, one jar lasts about a day and a half. Easy enough to sit inside too when freezing temps come at night.

they are eating 16% complete egg ration. It's chicken feed. 16% protein. No feed store around here has duck feed. What is fermented food?

You are posting on a thread called "Fermented feed feeder". If you don't know what fermented feed is, you might be in the wrong neighborhood! :) Did you mean to post this question somewhere else?

If you are curious about fermented feed, check out the following: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/645057/fermented-feeds-anyone-using-them

Last edited:
Just had an idea I'd like to share
Now I can't literally make FF in the feeder buckets, I make it in another bucket, get it all soft and then I dump it into the feeder buckets... But today I realized if I had an end cap for the PVC piece I could make it right in the bucket in the sink without the water overflowing out the PVC neck... One less step!

On second thought I think I can make a batch in the feeder without an end cap....

A few minutes later

Couple more minutes

So I tried it out and obviously if you don't overfill it doesn't overflow, a full bucket of feed is too much with the water anyway... so this is about three quarters full and it will fluff up quite nicely with the water and fill the bucket up...
I still sort of want an in Just because it would feel like it was more finished :D

I'm also really happy to say that the birds are loving the FF and their poops are nicer and the ducks are not back washing feed into the water quite so much with the wet food... it's great :D

Last edited:
Well the inferior silicon got me again....
It's holding well on one feeder, but today when I mixed up a batch inside one of the buckets the warm water seem to brake the silicone seal and I had to build another feeder.... Or perhaps it was this crack I found after taking it apart

Either way marine silicon is the best to use but this one pictured below is ok...

The 25 year stuff hardly held for 3 days...

Another poster made me think about this when asking about multiple PVC pipes to allow more chickens to feed at once...
Wouldn't (say 3 or 4) smaller pipes reduce the weight on the PVC, possibly allowing it to last longer? I love this idea and will likely try it myself!

Back
Top Bottom