Fermented feed feeder

High temps of 3°C and lows of -10°C have not stop the fermentation, I assume it's slightly warmer in the coop up against the wall where the feeders sit, but it still free-flowing and its still fermenting away. I have not added heat yet, not bad for November. I'm thinking this means without heat for the buckets I should be able to have fermented feed feeders from April through to mid November without heating it.
:weee

Really interested in seeing how this plays out. Getting our first chicks this month. Won't need a big feeder for a little while but have been trying to figure out the best way to feed fermented feed as they grow. Don't mind me as I sit over here in the corner and eavesdrop!

Glad I found this thread, this is a great design! I would love to start fermenting feed this spring. One concern, *waves at trsturself* I would be afraid to use a container that isn't specifically labeled food safe. I use empty cat litter bins to scoop our droppings into, but would be worried about putting feed in there, even dry feed, but fermenting feed, eating away at itself... and the glade scented...
hide.gif
Sorry I mean absolutely no offense, I debated even commenting but would feel just as guilty not saying something. So please take it as food for thought.

I agree. This one is old enough that I think it is ok for awhile. We cleaned it really well before we used it and we've been using it for dog food for a long time. There is no litter smell at all in it anymore. I'm mostly doing this as a test to see if I like this method. If I like it I'm going to redo it with a food grade square bucket. I don't have a square one of those handy and don't want to spend more than I need to in order to test it. Free works for me.

Thanks for the opinion. Don't be afraid to speak up. You might save someone a headache. :)

Yeah. I do whole grain FF too so it won't be the same as yours. Another reason I'm starting with a free trial bucket before moving on to something else. I remembered seeing a square bucket recently in our storage room. I went and looked and sure enough I still had a bucket of wheat that was almost empty. So when I've worked out all the kinks I have a bucket ready. :)

Concerning using kitty litter buckets...... I was forced to keep mosquito fish in empty kitty litter buckets for almost six weeks last summer. The fish appeared to do just fine in them. I also have used the buckets to water my horses...... And as planters for vegetable plants..... I love virtually free buckets!!

Hey Hen or @trsturself have you used heated dog bowls for fermented feed, was just curious about the pro's and con's on using them.

I don't see how it would work. FF needs to ferment at least 24 hours to get any benefit from it. How do you feed and ferment in a small area like that?
The bucket works because it holds more than they'll eat and you're putting the new inside so it has time to ferment before reaching where they can eat, at least I'm hoping that's how it works. We've had too much freezing weather still to test mine out.

I think all those questions are answered through out this thread. It works for my needs, to each their own.

I read the thread but was unable to see where it lightened the work load of this statement...

Quote:
....as you are still filling/refreshing the bucket every few days to keep the feed level up in the dispenser. If the feed is freezing in the bucket, how is it continuing to ferment?

I'm not asking these questions to get an argument, I'm just curious as to if this method is effective for what you wanted it for over and beyond just feeding once a day in an open trough feeder or other dispenser. Does it really cut your work in half and how can the feed continue to ferment at below freezing temps? Does it ferment quickly enough to ferment feed that has been added fresh every couple of days? All things I'd like to know and learn.
smile.png
I can't recommend to others who want to feed in bulk feeders unless I can get the skinny on it and I didn't see the answers to this in the thread.

Back
Top Bottom