Fermented feed feeder

Pics
I think a person would have to refresh that bucket more times than normal to keep the level of the feed up in the mouth of the feeder for the chickens....which would defeat the purpose of trying to decrease the work load, wouldn't it? And I'm not sure how you'd keep it from freezing in the current temps or keep the ferment going in the current temps...the bacteria cultures would go dormant and you'd soon be feeding just wet feed, which would also defeat the purpose.

Add to that only a few birds could eat out of it at a time, which would increase tension and fighting at the feeder. Not sure how practical this design could be or how it would improve on the simple trough feeder that you place food in once a day?

I don't feed FF in the winter so I won't need to worry about that.
The amount of openings you need varies greatly on how many chickens you have. I have also found that food that is out all day instead of given once or twice a day cuts down on the competition because they can all have a chance at some point in the day.
From what I've seen on this thread you don't have to "refresh" the bucket like you imagine.

I think all those questions are answered through out this thread. It works for my needs, to each their own.

I read the thread but was unable to see where it lightened the work load of this statement...

Quote:
....as you are still filling/refreshing the bucket every few days to keep the feed level up in the dispenser. If the feed is freezing in the bucket, how is it continuing to ferment?

I'm not asking these questions to get an argument, I'm just curious as to if this method is effective for what you wanted it for over and beyond just feeding once a day in an open trough feeder or other dispenser. Does it really cut your work in half and how can the feed continue to ferment at below freezing temps? Does it ferment quickly enough to ferment feed that has been added fresh every couple of days? All things I'd like to know and learn.
smile.png
I can't recommend to others who want to feed in bulk feeders unless I can get the skinny on it and I didn't see the answers to this in the thread.

I don't see how it could help in the winter unless placed on a heater.
My situation:
In the warm months I keep a small bucket in the run with fermented grains. I empty the food out of the bucket every morning and refill with more grains, keeping the water. I found the 24 hour time in the fermenting water is good enough. So instead of having to dish the food out each morning and refill, I'm hoping I can just add more grains to the bucket every other day or so. I also like that the chickens can eat as soon as their door opens instead of having to wait for me. Or if I'm out of town for the night I don't have to worry about them.
To me it seems like less work.
Of course, I haven't had a chance to use mine since we are still in winter's grip. But that's what I'm at least hoping for.

In the winter, I ferment it inside, defeating one of my original reasons for trying this. Inside it ferments ( with the left overs in the bucket ) over night, outside when it was just above zero it took longer ( 4 days for a totally fresh batch, 2 with fermented leftovers )
In fall it was perfect for me, 4 buckets kept 28 chickens and 4 ducks fed for about two weeks. I just added Water from the hose every few days when I refilled water buckets and a quick stir was all I had to do until the bucket was down to 6" of feed, then add feed and water stir let the birds eat again. When it got colder I brought warm/hot water out and stirred that in. For most of the year I think it lightens my work load just by keeping the mess ( I'm messy ) out of the house. I'm not sure it's as efficient as I hoped, but I'm going to keep going for the year and see if I'm still happy with it. The big thing for me is the free choice feeding, having two little ones I can't get to the coop as much as I'd like. I would rather they can get there food on their own with out me ( When its really cold they also have access to dry feed from a no waste feeder ). It's not perfect, I've said that a lot but given time to work out the bugs I think it could cut the FF work load down to better suit mine and others needs. I also like the option of leaving for a night or two and the birds still having FF as they sure do prefer it over dry.
Oh you don't need to top the bucket up regularly with feed, with four buckets out it takes about 2 weeks before I add more feed, water needs to be added every three days ( or so ) to keep it flowing... Did that cover your questions? :)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom