Fermented feed feeder

Pics
Awesome. When some people are putting together feeders sort of like this, they use heat guns to warm up the plastic of the bucket when you're trying to slide that elbow through the whole... It could make things a lot easier and get your tighter seal.
I can't wait to see your improvements, are you going to try the gasket out? that just sounds like a good idea.

Did I ever get around to mentioning that a wine burper could work to release gas on one of these feeders? A hole in the top of the bucket is handy but when the feeders really full, liquid will push out onto the lid of your feeder.

I will be doing a square bucket with 3 pvc pipes. I went with the 2" pipes and got a piece that fits in them. It's hard to describe. I'll post photos when I'm done.
The airlock is a great idea. I have a bunch in our beer making kit. I think I'll add that to my design as well.

Ok, I've made mine.

I bought the 2" pvc pieces with adapters to make the ends threaded. The threaded part didn't matter I just wanted something smooth to push through the hole then connect the pvc pipes to. Then I didn't have to worry about sealing as much hole, just a small crack around the pipe.

I did 3 pipes to feed ~15 chickens. I'm waiting for it all to dry overnight then I'll test it out.

Here are the pieces I bought

They fit together like this.

Cut the holes (used an old cat litter container). You can see my hole saw was a little too small for the pvc so I used my dremel to finish off the circle. Caused it to not be perfect, but I think caulk will fill in the little spots.

With the small pieces in place and caulked

All together.

I also bought little caps that fit inside but aren't air tight to put on if the mice are a problem

Glad I found this thread, this is a great design! I would love to start fermenting feed this spring. One concern, *waves at trsturself* I would be afraid to use a container that isn't specifically labeled food safe. I use empty cat litter bins to scoop our droppings into, but would be worried about putting feed in there, even dry feed, but fermenting feed, eating away at itself... and the glade scented...
hide.gif
Sorry I mean absolutely no offense, I debated even commenting but would feel just as guilty not saying something. So please take it as food for thought.

Last edited:
Glad I found this thread, this is a great design! I would love to start fermenting feed this spring. One concern, *waves at trsturself* I would be afraid to use a container that isn't specifically labeled food safe. I use empty cat litter bins to scoop our droppings into, but would be worried about putting feed in there, even dry feed, but fermenting feed, eating away at itself... and the glade scented...
hide.gif
Sorry I mean absolutely no offense, I debated even commenting but would feel just as guilty not saying something. So please take it as food for thought.

I agree. This one is old enough that I think it is ok for awhile. We cleaned it really well before we used it and we've been using it for dog food for a long time. There is no litter smell at all in it anymore. I'm mostly doing this as a test to see if I like this method. If I like it I'm going to redo it with a food grade square bucket. I don't have a square one of those handy and don't want to spend more than I need to in order to test it. Free works for me.

Thanks for the opinion. Don't be afraid to speak up. You might save someone a headache. :)

I agree. This one is old enough that I think it is ok for awhile. We cleaned it really well before we used it and we've been using it for dog food for a long time. There is no litter smell at all in it anymore. I'm mostly doing this as a test to see if I like this method. If I like it I'm going to redo it with a food grade square bucket. I don't have a square one of those handy and don't want to spend more than I need to in order to test it. Free works for me.

Thanks for the opinion. Don't be afraid to speak up. You might save someone a headache. :)
Cheers! I figured you had cleaned it well but good to hear. Good luck! :)

@trsturself of course yours looks great! I will be watching to see how it works for you.given this warmer weather of late herein CO,I might have to set up a ferment station inside somewhere for my buckets. Just seeing if you and Henn work out the kinks on this feeder before I jump in, oh and probably recover from wrist surgery first. Small details!

Ok, I've made mine. I bought the 2" pvc pieces with adapters to make the ends threaded. The threaded part didn't matter I just wanted something smooth to push through the hole then connect the pvc pipes to. Then I didn't have to worry about sealing as much hole, just a small crack around the pipe. I did 3 pipes to feed ~15 chickens. I'm waiting for it all to dry overnight then I'll test it out. Here are the pieces I bought They fit together like this. Cut the holes (used an old cat litter container). You can see my hole saw was a little too small for the pvc so I used my dremel to finish off the circle. Caused it to not be perfect, but I think caulk will fill in the little spots. With the small pieces in place and caulked All together. I also bought little caps that fit inside but aren't air tight to put on if the mice are a problem
That looks great, how's it working? The smaller pipe is a great idea... Wonder if the 2" is big enough for the ducks. Awesome :weee

Back
Top Bottom