Fermented Feed for Quail

This is it. Pretty simple. I got some 2 x 2 1/2 hardware cloth laying around. The plastic bins are from dollar store, 50c each. Oyster shell and fermented feed. Works out pretty well.

Nice! They can't jump in and scratch it out and it will limit beaking too.

Fermented feed is working out great for me, less smell, better looking firmer poops and overall healthier happier birds.

Last edited:
So I've been feeding fermented feed to my quails for the last couple weeks now. To be honest I have not noticed less feeds and less poops. I haven't done a scientific comparison. It may have made a difference but definitely not 1/3 of the feed or poop as I read. And I have to fill the feed every day which is a little taxing for me right now. I have feeders (for dry feed) that will last close to a week. Will probably go back to that, and do the experiment again when it gets warmer. Maybe my feed is not fermented enough. I do smell the alcohol, but not "bubbling" as some description I read. Just reporting what I've found so far.

Sorry it's not working out for you. You'll know it's helping when there is FF left in their bowls, because they eat less. But it does require you to make a couple trips a day to the coop in order to feed the flock. It's not for everyone. Like I said in another post if I had 50+ birds this would not work for me either. but for a few clusters it seems to work out.

Couple other things to add I've found that feather regrow seems to be faster. I can't prove this to be the cause of the FF but seems to be helping.

It shouldn't smell like alcohol though, more of a sour milk/bread smell.
May be I didn't leave it for fermentation long enough then. I mixed 1 1/2 gallon water + 1 1/2 gallon dry feed, together with left over fermented feed from previous batch, and left them in 5 gallon Home Depot bucket with cover, for 3 days. It smelled a pleasant alcohol at 3 days so I assumed it's been "fermented".

It's different for everyone but my batch took about 4-5 days with me stirring it twice a day in a 68 degree room. When that batch got down to maybe 3 or 4 servings I added 7 cups of water mixing that up then added 6 cups feed. Came back an hour later and mixed it up again to get some air in the FF. By the next day at the same time it was all fermented again.

I only make batches in gallon buckets to use it all in about week time frame, it can ferment to the point of going bad I think but my birds eat it all before that point. Once you figure out what works for you it's really low maintenance. I stir the batch every time I feed to keep oxygen in the FF. But as said from others, it's not for everyone. I can't prove its better for the birds but it sure does cut back on smell and droppings for me, I also go through way less feed and I didn't have a wasting problem to begain with. The birds just ate so much but now they only are at the feeder for maybe 5 minutes every hour unless they see a mealworm in the FF that I hide.

I started my quail on FF on day 2 out of the egg. They are now two weeks old. I refill their little dish 2-3 times a day as needed. I had a bit of experience with FF with my chickens last year and was thrilled with it. I am using Purina Game-bird chow growth and plumage (30%) right now

Some positives
- not a single case of pasty but
- no noticeable smell from the brooder
- firm poops
-no need to grind the food up for the little peepers, as it turns to mush

Some challenges
- poor little buggers get covered in FF from head to toe if I make it too runny (I worry when they peck at each other to clean it off)
- need to refill the dish often.

From my understanding your fermented feed should not smell like yeast or like alcohol. You are wanting to encourage lactic bacteria, like that found in yoghurt. It should smell sour, but never yeasty or of alcohol. I have read that you should use food grade plastic or glass to make it in as it will eat into metal (which will leech into the food).

I completely cover my dry feed in water so the water is higher by at least an inch. I keep mine inside and within 24 hours it's bubbling away happily. It may take a couple of days for your first culture to start (if kept warm enough) and after that just save a bit of the water to add to the next batch to seed it. I strain mine out through a fine sieve so that it's mush and not runny and wet.

I don't like to leave mine too long as it can become too sour, but I usually mix up enough for around three days. My quail love it, and have done from the moment I first offered it. I do it for my chickens as well. It massively reduces the smell of quail. I know this because my boys that live outside, and live on dry food, smell really bad compared to my indoor quail.

It is super simple to do and there are so many articles online about making it for pet birds and chickens.

I can't give any advice about amounts as I'm only feeding it to 9 quails and I kind of just tip a rough amount into my huge 'apothecary' jars that I found.

It is more work but they smell a lot less which to me is the biggest benefit.

Back
Top Bottom