Fermented feed vs. sprouted grain feed

tymimo

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 15, 2013
Seattle, WA
My Coop
My Coop
I'm wondering what the nutritional differences are between fermented feed and sprouted grains (fodder)? I searched but didn't see any threads on this. I'm specifically interested in egg laying chickens.

Thanks HCL, that actually raises another question I have: Is it possible and would there be any advantage to fermenting spent grain in terms of making the grain more digestable for the chickens? I don't brew myself but might have a few possible sources of spent grain.

Thanks I have been reading about both sprouting grains and fermented feed. What I searched for and haven't been able to find is a comparison between the two in terms of nutrition. I understand that both sprouted grains and fermented feed are easier to digest for chickens than dried grains but I wonder what the differences are. It seems like a majority (but not all) those who talk about using fermented feed are raising meat birds and can't find anything as to why.

I feed FF and sprouted foods. The FF helps with gut flora, allowing them to absorb more nutrients from their food, and sprouting changes the nutrient content of grains/seeds. They also have access to dry rations. I think it's important to give as much variety as possible. I don't sprout a lot during the spring and summer because we grow extra greens and veggies for them in our garden. (I think of sprouts as their winter "greens")

Last edited:
In addition to what ShanCarl1971 said, the sprouts that continue to grow until they have green leaves are a green feed. They have additional benefits that younger sprouts, grain or fermented feed don't have. I think fermented feeds and green feeds (or pasture) are compatible, with different benefits.

If you want to read more, there's a lot of information on the benefits of wheat grass and dark leafy greens for people and parrots online. There's also a lot of information on the benefits of pasture for chickens and livestock online. There's also information on how free ranging chickens can affect egg quality. Eating green plants increases the good fatty acids and vitamins in the eggs, as well as changing the type of fat in the meat, to a type that's better for people. Grain and wheat grass are different for chickens, in the way that bread and vegetables are for you.

There's also a lot of information available on probiotics and fermented foods for people, as well as animals, online.

I free range during the growing season. I only offer green feed during the winter. The rest of the year, the chickens forage for their green feed.

Thanks. I can't really let the chickens free range but I'm definitely trying to supply them with plenty of greens (e.g. beet tops, carrot tops, weeds etc). I've been trying to sprout Milo but have issues with mold. My latest is to just let the seeds begin to sprout and feed it to the chickens rather than wait until the grass grows. I do lacto-ferment sauerkraut, kimchi and pickles so I was interested in fermenting feed. I think I'll try fermenting some feed and see how they like it.

Lentils have been the easiest thing for me to sprout, with the least amount of effort. I have been buying them at the grocery store for $1.08 per 1 lb bag, but will use the late summer to look for a bulk source to cut my cost before I need to supplement again. I use 1/4 cup per day, soak them in a jar for 24 hrs, rinse and leave wet, rinsing every 24 hrs. I have a 3-jar rotation, which gives me a full pint jar of sprouts every day for 12 hens. They would definitely eat more if I gave it to them. (I know I could sprout other things cheaper, but they REALLY like the lentils, and so do we!!!...lol.....we eat as many as the chickens do....they are GREAT in salads, and sometimes we just sit and eat them like chips)

I feed a wide variety of things to my chickens all year long. And the variety is different all the time, depending on what is readily available to me at any given time. Right now, they are getting game bird starter, layer pellets, fermented feed about 4 days a week, kefir about twice a week, sprouts about 3 times a week (because they get more greenery from other sources now), greens from the garden 2-3 times a week (will be every day within the next week or so when the greens fill in a little more...then no more sprouts until late fall), and they forage the yard about 4 evenings per week.......within the next couple of weeks, they will also be getting more fresh produce from the garden, including squash, zuchinni, green beans, bell peppers, tomatoes, cucumbers, etc.

I know that was a little off topic, but I'm getting excited for the veggies and stuff to be coming in....lol.... the chickens love them so much and they are so good for them!!....lol

This was very helpful. I began fermenting, the girls love it...and wondered about sprouting. Definitely something to add to their menu for the winter. I am also going to (yuk) get some crickets!!

Back
Top Bottom