FERMENTED FEEDS...anyone using them?

I've been meaning to do business cards, and I even have a design idea based on our farm logo. But I need to find a graphic artist to make me the appropriate computer files, etc., and that's a project I've been procrastinating. Then I can print labels for the egg cartons, or have a stamp made, etc. I'm sure it will be useful. But that's kinda "fluff" as much of the time I could sell way more eggs than I have.
If you don't have time to do it online I have an engraving/printing business with in house graphics department. PM me if you need some help putting together a logo or getting high quality business cards.

Tikkijane too!

Last edited:
If you don't have time to do it online I have an engraving/printing business with in house graphics department. PM me if you need some help putting together a logo or getting high quality business cards.

Tikkijane too!

What we need to do is have a computer art file made for our current farm logo. After that, I'd like to "tweak" the farm logo to include the poultry portion of the farm. Our current log is very, very sharp looking, but it was done in the 70s, so there is no computer file for it ... even I don't know what font was used, and it is distinctive so someone needs to be a bit of a font expert to take on the job.

There are lots of places that do that type of work, but I need to find someone who will do clean, accurate, efficient work at a reasonable price.

I used to do graphic design/print production work for a living, so I can be extremely picky about it.
roll.png
Sometimes I'm my own biggest PITA.

Could FF do this? These chicks have been in the house in a storage tub for a couple weeks. They've made a mess of the FF, all over each other, but there hasn't been any pecking or anything. I moved them out to a trough yesterday because I had a new shipment of more chicks coming in. I got them the same setup just more space. Went in this morning and they look like this! Could FF be burning off the feathers...or something?? Can/Should I put Blu-Kote on their backs where they're missing feathers and have little blood spots?

If they get their faces and chests in it and the other chicks pick off the dried feed later it can create a bald spot. It's not the FF burning them at all...just hungry chicks cleaning one another. I had a few CX like that on their chests and it slowly filled in as they fledged out. No worries.

If they get their faces and chests in it and the other chicks pick off the dried feed later it can create a bald spot. It's not the FF burning them at all...just hungry chicks cleaning one another. I had a few CX like that on their chests and it slowly filled in as they fledged out. No worries.
Ok - so even on their crops it can be normal? It amazed me how there's a stripe down the middle of their backs...Is that just because it's still "baby" feathers there and so they're a lot easier to pull out? Should I be feeding them more?

They molt something like 7 times while they're growing ... but it could be picking. Picking happens FAST!
But does the pecking or molting happen at 2-3 weeks of age? lol I've never seen this happen before...boggles my mind.
hu.gif

Last edited:
Ok - so even on their crops it can be normal? It amazed me how there's a stripe down the middle of their backs...Is that just because it's still "baby" feathers there and so they're a lot easier to pull out? Should I be feeding them more?

Shouldn't be anything like that happening on their backs unless they are literally taking a bath in the FF. I'd be watching these chicks to see if they are picking one another. You can feed them more if they are seeming to be too hungry or if they are picking each other's feathers even when there is no feed to clean off.

Another thing to consider if these are being brooded out in a coop...many people are reporting mice chewing feathers on their adult hens at night. If these chicks are where mice can prey on them, it's one possibility. It's been a bad winter for the wildlife and this could be why they are resorting to the feathers for nutrition.

Last edited:
But does the pecking or molting happen at 2-3 weeks of age? lol I've never seen this happen before...boggles my mind. :confused:  

There is nothing yummier to a chicken than the taste of blood-filled feathers. It just takes a quick peck, and it isn't really the same as pecking order.

Or ... It could be molt.

Or ... It could be sticky feed.

Watch for blood. We like pick-no-more stuff from Rooster Booster, but I don't like to use that near eyes, noses or vents.

Back
Top Bottom