FERMENTED FEEDS...anyone using them?

You are welcome. I love posting photos/videos. SO many people have helped me learn by posting photos/videos of all things chicken related so I am glad I can help out in return!  :)  I do really recommend a BPA free bucket though because the ACV in normal plastic will leach harmful chemicals imo. :)
right now I'm using a gallon pitcher, that you would mix koolaid or frozen juice in. I need to get something bigger though! I plan on having my husband ask the bakery at Walmart if they have any empty icing or batter buckets that they are going to throw away. Those should be BPA free right? Where did you get your BPA free buckets?

right now I'm using a gallon pitcher, that you would mix koolaid or frozen juice in. I need to get something bigger though! I plan on having my husband ask the bakery at Walmart if they have any empty icing or batter buckets that they are going to throw away. Those should be BPA free right? Where did you get your BPA free buckets?
Maybe food grade means no BPA, not sure though. I got my buckets for $8 plus shipping from:

http://www.wheatgrasskits.com/5-Gallon-Plastic-Bucket-Pail

Since the shipping was a little bit I decided to just get a wheatgrass sprouting kit and I have since grown a flat of wheatgrass. I can juice it for me and give to chickens also, it is organic!! :)

Thank you for this video! It helps me know that my batch was good!

In only started it about 36 hours ago, son I think I'll stick to using the Primal Defense to start (just not as much next time!)

My week old chicks love it! Then older birds are much more weary, I had to bribe them with the sprouted wheat grass I put in it, lol.

Also, does anyone know how this affects the manure? Does it make it more/less "hot?"

I don't know how the ff affects the nitrogen content of chicken manure, but since fermenting makes all the nutrients in a feed more easily absorbed, would expect the resulting manure to be a less concentrated source of all nutrients, including nitrogen.

I think Primal Defense is a good source of probiotics, and use it on myself, to good effect. However, you need not continue to purchase that supplement for your chicken feed. Just save a scoop or two from each "old" batch to use as the starter for each new batch. The fact that this method is so cheap and easy is what I like most about it.

Best wishes,
Angela

Maybe food grade means no BPA, not sure though. I got my buckets for $8 plus shipping from:

http://www.wheatgrasskits.com/5-Gallon-Plastic-Bucket-Pail

Since the shipping was a little bit I decided to just get a wheatgrass sprouting kit and I have since grown a flat of wheatgrass. I can juice it for me and give to chickens also, it is organic!!  :)

That's exactly where I got my organic wheat grass several years ago! I just sprouted some it turned out pretty well, even though I utterly failed and let it dry out a few times!
How's that for product endorsement!

I don't know how the ff affects the nitrogen content of chicken manure, but since fermenting makes all the nutrients in a feed more easily absorbed, would expect the resulting manure to be a less concentrated source of all nutrients, including nitrogen.

I think Primal Defense is a good source of probiotics, and use it on myself, to good effect. However, you need not continue to purchase that supplement for your chicken feed. Just save a scoop or two from each "old" batch to use as the starter for each new batch. The fact that this method is so cheap and easy is what I like most about it.

Best wishes,
Angela

I really like it for myself too. That's why I had it lying around. I didn't buy it specifically for this as someone else mentioned.

If my batch ever goes "off" though, I'm glad I have it on hand!

yeah I really like growing my own wheatgrass I think this is about 5 days.

Area restaurants. Bakeries are a good source too. Most of mine are pickle buckets. Some pubs that sell a lot of sandwiches and put pickle spears on every plate will go through 3 buckets a week. What a waste to throw them away. Some of my buckets are green some are white. (pickle spears/white, slices/green) I'm using 3 for FF but I think I'll up it to 4 cause my chicks are up to a half bucket a day. I probably have another 20 buckets for bulk feeders, carrying water, storing oyster shell, 3 sizes of grit, oats, wheat, barley, flax, buckwheat, Austrian peas, BOSS, Stripe, etc.. I get the seeds out of the paper bags and they stack well and eliminates the temptation for mice.

yeah I really like growing my own wheatgrass I think this is about 5 days.
nice
what temperature do you keep it at?

FF can do weird things. I think it is fine. It can separate, have strange colored growths top or bottom, smell differently. I wouldn't throw it out or add ACV. Just keep going. If it is really wet with water on top, you may want to add some more feed to dry it out some.

Would you leave the top off? I left the lid on..

Area restaurants. Bakeries are a good source too. Most of mine are pickle buckets. Some pubs that sell a lot of sandwiches and put pickle spears on every plate will go through 3 buckets a week. What a waste to throw them away. Some of my buckets are green some are white. (pickle spears/white, slices/green) I'm using 3 for FF but I think I'll up it to 4 cause my chicks are up to a half bucket a day. I probably have another 20 buckets for bulk feeders, carrying water, storing oyster shell, 3 sizes of grit, oats, wheat, barley, flax, buckwheat, Austrian peas, BOSS, Stripe, etc.. I get the seeds out of the paper bags and they stack well and eliminates the temptation for mice.

nice
what temperature do you keep it at?
I just keep it in the house and we live in Southern CA, so I am guessing its 70 inside. I also have it in a window sill.

It's a lot cooler here.

I have to come up with another feed trough. I've been using the plastic gutters. They're inexpensive, quick and easy. The trouble is that I'm seeing a lot of blood because the roosters are scraping wattles and combs. I'm going back to my original plan of making V shaped troughs out of 1/4 " or thicker HDPE plastic with a reel top on it.

Back
Top Bottom