FERMENTED FEEDS...anyone using them?

HI,

I just wanted to report back that I held out with my chicks and they are now happily eating their FF. You were right, not a one of them stopped eating and died.
bow.gif

Thanks for the encouragement and helpful information. I'm so glad I didn't give up too soon.

On a side note, I'm keeping my FF on the counter in my kitchen. I bought one of those 2 gallon clear glass "cookie gar" like cannisters at Walmart recommended some place in FF world. Works wonderfully. Pretty big for my 4 tiny chicks but they will grow into it. Anyhow, my FF is 12 days old now and I'm starting to smell it in my house. Not complaining one bit....just saying because it's interesting. It seems to be perfect right now and hoping to keep it that way. That being said, I'm going to use more of it up before I add any new to it. I was a little exuberant with my first batch.
gig.gif

Thanks again!
I make up larger batches and only refresh when my my bucket gets down to about a cup or two. Then I just add in enough water and feed to get the right consistency and what I think will last me 4-5 days. By the next morning it is fermented and ready to feed again by using the innoculant left in my bucket. It does get stronger smelling as the days go by.

Yep, next time you get something that looks like mold to you, take a photo and post it here for us to see. Very likely what you are seeing is a larger yeast bloom. And in any case, stirring it back into the mix, whatever it is (even if it IS mold), the lactic acid bacteria (LAB) will consume it and produce more health-giving LAB babies. Don't just take it from me or others here (though we do have some experience with this), the fermentation guru known as Sandor Katz has written a couple excellent books on the subject. His tome, "The Art of Fermentation" also includes color photos of these sorts of things.

Anything white and fuzzy is most likely yeast. Brown, black or green would most likely be molds. And unless you live in a hot and humid locale (ie, the deep south of USA), it's not likely that black mold grows in your location. Most "black molds" are actually very dark brown molds (if you hold it to bright light), according a veteran plumber who worked in the Seattle area (humid but not hot) who had seen all kinds and lots of mold over his 30+ year career.

One thing I do to keep more oxygen out and reduce the chance of mold is to cover the FF with a plastic bag. Mold isn't so awful like we've said, but my FF is so thick it is not stir-able. In my case, it's not a problem, because I don't stir mine (I use a slightly different fermentation method than most folks here). But regardless of your fermentation method, a plastic bag on top will keep oxygen loving molds and yeasts from getting too out of hand.

Ok so I've been keeping the lid on but it has holes... I need to take it off and use a plastic bag? When I dumped it, it smelled alcoholy... I was scared to use it.... My consistancy is like peanut butter... The wetter it is, the messier it is..... I started a new batch this a.m... I do live in the south but not Deep South... Next time I'll take a pic of it...

Ok so I've been keeping the lid on but it has holes... I need to take it off and use a plastic bag? When I dumped it, it smelled alcoholy... I was scared to use it.... My consistancy is like peanut butter... The wetter it is, the messier it is..... I started a new batch this a.m... I do live in the south but not Deep South... Next time I'll take a pic of it...

Don't throw it away. I'm in Louisiana and I promise you it's ok. Unless it's black and slimey? Stir and feed.
big_smile.png

Oh, I see you already dumped it. Next time don't. ha

Last edited:

If you stir it in and it still has an alcohol smell, I'd chuck it. Others may recommend to keep feeding it. It depends on how sensitive your sniffer is and how strong the alcohol smell is. A tiny bit of alcohol isn't harmful but you don't want to feed large amounts of it to your birds. It's hard on their little livers and can make them sick.

It's yeasts that produce alcohol. Most yeasts need oxygen to do so and so by placing a plastic bag (or tight fitting lid on a plastic container don't do it on glass or it may explode) directly on top of the feed, you will reduce the amount of oxygen available. It's about balance of the yeasts and LABs...yeasts consume sugars and hopefully before they produce much alcohol, the LABs consume the yeasts, thus keeping the alcohol amounts at a low level, usually low enough that you can't smell it. Of course the LABs can't consume all of the yeasts, so some small amount of alcohol is produce as well as the yeasts reproducing, producing more yeasts for the LABs to consume.

We love pics here :)

Last edited:
If you stir it in and it still has an alcohol smell, I'd chuck it. Others may recommend to keep feeding it. It depends on how sensitive your sniffer is and how strong the alcohol smell is. A tiny bit of alcohol isn't harmful but you don't want to feed large amounts of it to your birds. It's hard on their little livers and can make them sick.

It's yeasts that produce alcohol. Most yeasts need oxygen to do so and so by placing a plastic bag (or tight fitting lid on a plastic container don't do it on glass or it may explode) directly on top of the feed, you will reduce the amount of oxygen available. It's about balance of the yeasts and LABs...yeasts consume sugars and hopefully before they produce much alcohol, the LABs consume the yeasts, thus keeping the alcohol amounts at a low level, usually low enough that you can't smell it. Of course the LABs can't consume all of the yeasts, so some small amount of alcohol is produce as well as the yeasts reproducing, producing more yeasts for the LABs to consume.

We love pics here
smile.png
This is so totally different from what I've been told. Pdirt. Lab's have to have oxygen. That's why you put a towel or loose top on it. Anyone else have this same idea? I've never had it completely covered airtight. It may work different for EM-1 additive. I've been using ACV to activate mine.

This is so totally different from what I've been told.  Pdirt.  Lab's have to have oxygen.  That's why you put a towel or loose top on it.  Anyone else have this same idea?   I've never had it completely covered airtight.  It may work different for EM-1 additive.  I've been using ACV to activate mine. 
LABs are anaerobic, work where there is no oxygen present. Yeast needs oxygen to propagate/live.

This morning I found mine had a little bit stronger yeasty smell. What was in the bottom of the jar looked fine but there was some blue/green stuff growing on the bits that had stuck to the side of the jar. I decided that any bits down close to the main contents would be stirred in. Then waited a couple of hours and filled the chick's dish then emptied the contents into a clean jar avoiding as much of the mold as possible. I then added some new water and starter to the old and stirred. After what I just read I took the towel away and covered with a plastic bag. Does that sound okay?

This is so totally different from what I've been told.  Pdirt.  Lab's have to have oxygen.  That's why you put a towel or loose top on it.  Anyone else have this same idea?   I've never had it completely covered airtight.  It may work different for EM-1 additive.  I've been using ACV to activate mine. 

When I tried it a few weeks back I used a paper towel over the top... It worked good.. But that was in a glass jar... Since I'm using a plastic container the lid has holes which I've been leaving open..... Should I go back to using the paper towel? It needs air right?

When I tried it a few weeks back I used a paper towel over the top... It worked good.. But that was in a glass jar... Since I'm using a plastic container the lid has holes which I've been leaving open..... Should I go back to using the paper towel? It needs air right?

That's what I always heard. It's a scoby. It is a combination of yeasts and bacterias. It needs air. I do my kombucha like this also. For over a year. It never molded. Somebody else will edge in on this shortly I'm sure.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom