FERMENTED FEEDS...anyone using them?

I'd really like to let mine free-range, there are tons of goodies like ants and grasshoppers all around. Unfortunately, my homestead is in an interesting area. It's a 10-acre plot, narrow and very deep. Right on one side I have neighbors with dogs and the other side is an expressway. Not exactly safe! Plus we have lots of wild critters around, some I've seen and most I'm sure I haven't! They always put themselves away at night and I have heard that they will always come home to the coop, but I'm still nervous.

I'd really like to let mine free-range, there are tons of goodies like ants and grasshoppers all around. Unfortunately, my homestead is in an interesting area. It's a 10-acre plot, narrow and very deep. Right on one side I have neighbors with dogs and the other side is an expressway. Not exactly safe! Plus we have lots of wild critters around, some I've seen and most I'm sure I haven't! They always put themselves away at night and I have heard that they will always come home to the coop, but I'm still nervous.

If you decide to try it, then I would recommend letting them free range close to sun set as they will stick closer to the coop. I read once that early morning as sun is coming up they stick close, middle of they day they will roam farther, and closer to sunset, they stay in close again. This has seemed to ring true for my flock. I only allow mine out for free ranging when I am home after work for a couple of hours. (I have to bring our dog inside)

Today was day 2 of FF in the evening. I strained it very well this time and it was the texture of a wet sand, maybe. They dug right in, and this time a duck waddled up and scarfed nearly all of it down so I went inside to get them a second scoop. I added some more feed, stirred, and plan to 1. start a bigger batch! and 2. feed it twice a day. Thanks guys, you have all been so helpful with questions I have had! I am sure my chickens will be better for it. :)

Awesome! We love success stories!

I'm posting here because I will probably get a faster response...
I have a chick thats about 3 weeks old that is much slower than the others, shes eating a bit but mostly she hangs back with her shoulders kinda hunched. No pasting. I have been giving quick chick electrolytes and vitamins every other day in the water and I just gave her a drop of poultry nutri drench on her beak. Her crop is full and soft. Any suggestions on something I could do differently?

Have a broody that has some chicks hatching out. When I move them to the brooder, do I just mix up some plain layer mash to ferment for the chicks to eat or do I need to get chick feed to ferment? I just don't like to buy 50# of chick feed for a few chicks. I mix my ff with some scratch, rolled barley and flaxseed. I know the chicks can't get the scratch down, to big. Last year I bought the chick feed and fed them that, but that was when I just started ff. What do you all do?

Have a broody that has some chicks hatching out.  When I move them to the brooder, do I just mix up some plain layer mash to ferment for the chicks to eat or do I need to get chick feed to ferment? I just don't like to buy 50# of chick feed for a few chicks.  I mix my ff with some scratch, rolled barley and flaxseed.  I know the chicks can't get the scratch down, to big. Last year I bought the chick feed and fed them that, but that was when I just started ff.  What do you all do?
You can feed starter to everyone til the babies are on layer just be sure to give them access to crushed oyster shell.

I'm posting here because I will probably get a faster response...
I have a chick thats about 3 weeks old that is much slower than the others, shes eating a bit but mostly she hangs back with her shoulders kinda hunched. No pasting. I have been giving quick chick electrolytes and vitamins every other day in the water and I just gave her a drop of poultry nutri drench on her beak. Her crop is full and soft. Any suggestions on something I could do differently?

It sounds like you are doing everything right to me. It seems like you can only help them so much. Nature will take its course, wether that's the chick gets bigger and stronger or it starts to fade more. Hope she starts to advance.

Have a broody that has some chicks hatching out.  When I move them to the brooder, do I just mix up some plain layer mash to ferment for the chicks to eat or do I need to get chick feed to ferment? I just don't like to buy 50# of chick feed for a few chicks.  I mix my ff with some scratch, rolled barley and flaxseed.  I know the chicks can't get the scratch down, to big. Last year I bought the chick feed and fed them that, but that was when I just started ff.  What do you all do?

Chicks need the higher protein in chick starter. I use my regular FF to start my batch of chick starter so it ferments overnight. I can usually get away with a mixing bowl with lid for a while, until they get bigger.

Back
Top Bottom