FERMENTED FEEDS...anyone using them?

Not very.
smile.png
Only about 10 weeks old.

Hey jasmine
welcome-byc.gif
Yes they tend to drink a lot less water with fermented feed. It helps offset the extra work in making FF. You don't have to fill the waterers so much. I have hatched some super blue egg layers in 2 batches and have had no deaths in the 24 birds. Even in our heat. Of course the leghorn part of the SBEL's assures me that they can handle the heat. I have 11 in the hot, hot storeroom that will be going outside today. Over 100 almost everyday. A have the A/C on but it's not enough and they love the iced coke bottles.

South Texas, sounds hot. Have y'all been getting any of the rain that Shreveport has been getting lately. I don't remember a time when it was so wet. Not griping you understand. This is the most important decision I made in getting chickens. Mine are so healthy. Love my FF.
gig.gif
Not really Linda. A couple weeks ago we had some huge storms, but none recently. Mostly just hot and humid. Thankfully it hasn't broken 100 yet.... My chickens love it too! All ours that were taking forever to molt finished up in just a few days of FF. I have some chicks that will (hopefully) be hatching on Wednesday and I am going to start them on the FF right away
big_smile.png

Just thought some of you might like to know that in SW La. it is so hot and humid that I have stopped fermenting until it gets a little cooler and the flies aren't sooo bad...that stuff stinks like crazy and my flock seems happier eating grass, bugs and other goodies from the pasture. They really loved it at first but now, nature must be better! I did get blessed with 5-6 sacks of wheat from a friend who raises it so...
woot.gif
I will be ready for later!!!

That's what I had to do. Put it on hold. Now, I still have to figure out a place to bury the rest of what was in the bucket. (I was told I could not just dump it out on the ground.) I'm sure it's quite rancid by now without stirring it in over a week.

I know the ferment is said to be better for the chickens, but boy am I enjoying not having to mess with it everyday. Built some PVC feeders for the dry feed and haven't had to refill yet, so I'm getting a bit spoiled on that.

That's what I had to do. Put it on hold. Now, I still have to figure out a place to bury the rest of what was in the bucket. (I was told I could not just dump it out on the ground.) I'm sure it's quite rancid by now without stirring it in over a week.

I know the ferment is said to be better for the chickens, but boy am I enjoying not having to mess with it everyday. Built some PVC feeders for the dry feed and haven't had to refill yet, so I'm getting a bit spoiled on that.

After it's made up it doesn't need to be stirred everyday. Check it out and if it's still fairly ok put some in a baggie and fridge it until you are ready again. Then it will quick start your new batch. Once I get everything straightened out with who goes in which coop, I'm going to build a 5 gallon w/pvc opening for dry feed. And the same for a waterer. I've been having a lot of trouble with my knee and it would be nice to only go out once a day instead of multiples.
old.gif

Who says you can't dump it on the ground? What about your compost bin? I don't think it necessarily goes rancid, it just gets super over-the-top fermented.

Back
Top Bottom