FERMENTED FEEDS...anyone using them?

Averages out to 16% without the fish food and 23% with - pretty much the same as layer feed. Plus, it's only a portion of their diet. They spend most of the day out in the pens eating bugs and stuff. What protein level do you use?

Averages out to 16% without the fish food and 23% with - pretty much the same as layer feed. Plus, it's only a portion of their diet. They spend most of the day out in the pens eating bugs and stuff. What protein level do you use?
My basic mix calculates to 18.65%; 17% is considered adequate for layers and ~24% for broilers & turkeys; Because of grain quality variances, I prefer it to calculate a bit over suggested levels, and I adjust the basic blend for the meaties and turkeys.

I'm just not seeing how the mix stated can be over 12% - Oats & wheat average 12 and 12.4% respectively; actual percentages for both are dependent on variety and growing conditions, ie: the highest is hard red (flour) wheat grown under optimal conditions at 14%, whereas soft spring wheats grown with inadequate nitrogen availability can be as low as 6%. Oats have less variability, but are calculated at an average of 12%. Barley is calculated at 12.3% and I have no further knowledge of it's variations because I never use it, Corn is calculated at 9% and usually varies from 7.5 to 11%.
So, assuming your scratch grain is an even blend of oat/wheat/corn, it's calculated protein level is 11.03%, making your final mix 11.81%

I read the labels on the feed bags. What would you suggest adding? My hens have been doing pretty well on this mix.
I like your mix. I use catfish food also. But I got a bag of alfalfa pellets and add 2 or 3 handfuls to my 5 gallon bucket of fermented feed. Boy do they go crazy over it. I can't let mine roam yet so this is a substitute. For the catfish food I usually I use 1/2 big scoop to 5 scoops of mixed grains. It completes their lower protein grains and does very well. Oats are one of the best grains for poultry. I buy the crimped but I also buy the whole grains and soak them separately for 3 or so days before adding to the ferment bucket. I also save costs by buying rice bran. It's very good and about 12%. Both the catfish food and the alfalfa pellets last a long time. I'm still working on the 50# bag of catfish feed that I bought 3 months ago. Also, BOSS, black oil sunflower seeds are excellent. I bought a 25# bag about 3 months ago and still have plenty. Added to feed or thrown out for treats. No problems with protein shortage ever.
big_smile.png

I read the labels on the feed bags. What would you suggest adding? My hens have been doing pretty well on this mix.
Of the higher protein feeds, field peas are probably the least expensive & easiest to deal with. In all fairness, I must add that soybeans are higher and may be cheaper; I, personally, choose not to use them for several reasons. Flax is good - but not in a fermented feed because the hulls are flat & very smooth - it sticks to *everything* ; I feed it dry free choice, and it isn't calculated into my mix because they aren't that crazy about it.
This link to a simple calculator has a sidebar listing the average protein percentages of various foods:

http://homesteadapps.com/app/free/feedcalc/pearsonsquare.php

my suggestion would be to go through the list and see what's available and affordable in your area, run some numbers and come up with a blend that works. While it's a PITA, remember that using a larger variety of feedstuffs in the mix also results in a larger variety of micronutrients; this calculator is not useful for multi-ingredient mixes - it's linked because it has the easiest-to-locate and most extensive list of feeds I've come across online.

I also 'top dress' my FF with Fertrell Nutri-balancer to make sure I have all the bases covered; NOT mixed into ferment stage because 1. The mineral granules all sink to the bottom and are not evenly distributed, 2. It results in massive mineral build-up on surfaces of the container. Sooo.... it's in a huge 'salt shaker' beside the feed station :)

Last edited:
I am about to go back and read through this thread but it might take a few years (531 pages!!) I just started fermenting. we are on day 2, fed them some. heard it helps to get them used to it before feeding them fully fermented feed. So far the chickens and ducks love it. The chicks? not so much lol. I have them on sand and they tend to peck at the sand instead so going to put them on paper towels until they get the idea. They are 1 week old. I have 2 buckets going the bucket that is on day 2 I am using the 2 bucked straining method. The second one I am using 1 bucket with hot water, just started it like an hour ago. I have a smaller mason jar for the chicks feed and its on day 2 as well. How do I get the chicks to eat it? I am going to try the paper towels and see if they take to it. Also, how much do you feed adult chickens.ducks? I've been feeding about 4 cups a day. seems like they destroy it in the mornings but at night they let it sit. o thre the remaining away this morning and refilled with fresh. Didn't think it's be okay sitting for that long?

I wouldn't worry about it sitting overnight - esp. this time of year. (what's it gonna do, start fermenting? lol) If there's not a fly problem, I can't see any other reason to dump it. Mine often go to roost at night before cleaning it all up - but it's usually gone by the time I get to the coop around 7am.
I 'started' chicks on a ground feed in a standard trough w/lid feeder until I was sure they all had the hang of eating, then began putting a few tablespoons of fermented cracked grains over the top - they could still see & get to the stuff they were used to, but there was enough of a 'presence' to draw their curiosity. Slowly increased the FF over a week, finally having a shallow layer of ground feed covered with an inch of cracked fermented - they didn't get down to the ground, after a few days I just put in the FF.

In a new development our chickens have started eating everything but the FF. I've had the same 5 gallon bucket going for a few weeks and am just now to the point that I need to add more feed and water to it. I'm fermenting layer crumbles with some wild bird seed thrown in for goodies. I feed in the morning about 5:30 before work and let them out of the coop at that time. By the time I come home all of it is gone and the chickens are at the fence waiting on me to feed them. I go out there and add another measure of FF to the two feeders that we have and the chickens will pick at it a bit but not really "go to it" like they do in the mornings (according to my wife). I do offer them larvae in the afternoon also since I have a self harvesting bin packed full of BSF, horsefly and common house fly larvae and once a pound of that mix hits the ground the chickens are all gangbusters about getting in there and eating. They eat the grubs like they are starving while the FF sits not 8 feet away being ignored.

Are the chickens just that much more interested in grubs than FF that they'll act like this or could it be something in the feed that they've decided that they don't like? In the mornings when I check the feeders one is usually empty and the other has about a half cup left in it. I just dump that half cup back into the FF bucket and mix it back in, should I not be doing that?

Thank you for any help.
RichnSteph

In a new development our chickens have started eating everything but the FF. I've had the same 5 gallon bucket going for a few weeks and am just now to the point that I need to add more feed and water to it. I'm fermenting layer crumbles with some wild bird seed thrown in for goodies. I feed in the morning about 5:30 before work and let them out of the coop at that time. By the time I come home all of it is gone and the chickens are at the fence waiting on me to feed them. I go out there and add another measure of FF to the two feeders that we have and the chickens will pick at it a bit but not really "go to it" like they do in the mornings (according to my wife). I do offer them larvae in the afternoon also since I have a self harvesting bin packed full of BSF, horsefly and common house fly larvae and once a pound of that mix hits the ground the chickens are all gangbusters about getting in there and eating. They eat the grubs like they are starving while the FF sits not 8 feet away being ignored.

Are the chickens just that much more interested in grubs than FF that they'll act like this or could it be something in the feed that they've decided that they don't like? In the mornings when I check the feeders one is usually empty and the other has about a half cup left in it. I just dump that half cup back into the FF bucket and mix it back in, should I not be doing that?

Thank you for any help.
RichnSteph

I don't think it matters if you stir it back into the bucket of leave it in the feed pan. I usually just add more to the feed pan and stir.

But... in the last couple weeks my chickens have also wanted anything but the FF. I started wondering if it was because its cold and the weather has really cooled down.

I have tried adding scratch to the FF and that worked for a while. Then i added yogurt and it works, but it can get expensive to add everyday. I thought I would try just warming it up in the morning. If that doesn't work i believe i will have to feed dry for the winter a lot earlier than i expected.

I don't think it matters if you stir it back into the bucket of leave it in the feed pan. I usually just add more to the feed pan and stir.

But... in the last couple weeks my chickens have also wanted anything but the FF. I started wondering if it was because its cold and the weather has really cooled down.

I have tried adding scratch to the FF and that worked for a while. Then i added yogurt and it works, but it can get expensive to add everyday. I thought I would try just warming it up in the morning. If that doesn't work i believe i will have to feed dry for the winter a lot earlier than i expected.
I hadn't considered that. To be honest I didn't know that I'd have to feed dry over the winter although "winter" down here in south Texas really isn't cold.

Thanks for the help!
RichnSteph

Back
Top Bottom