FERMENTED FEEDS...anyone using them?

Pics
I've been having a similar problem, though mine can free range and supplement their diet. That is a lot of food for that many birds, so I can see how you'd want to cut it down. I've noticed the hens have less time to bully the youngsters when there is less food being dispensed...seems to work better if they are hungrier, so cutting back on the food is going to create a better atmosphere at the trough, though that sounds like it would act just the opposite. When there is less food available, my older birds are too busy trying to get some food to bother running off the younger set, filling their beaks at a quick rate to even get some at all. That and a long, trough style feeder helps the younger birds get enough to get by on.

If your birds are very much smaller than the adults, you can arrange a creep feeder, which is just a place where the young birds can eat but the bigger birds can't get to...this is often done by placing a divider that is so many inches off the ground where young birds can squeeze under but the older birds cannot.

If they are older but still not able to fend for themselves at the feeder, they will eventually fight for their food rights, nip in and get bites when they can and will finally get hungry enough to stand their ground at the feeder. Sometimes this is best accomplished by using a long, trough style feeder where the birds can line up on both sides and the younger can eat at one end while the elders eat at the other...as soon as the older hens move down to chase off the youngsters, they circle around behind the hens and hit the other end of the trough.

Here's some pic progression of some Delaware chicks and a few White Rock chicks as they grew and shared a trough with the older birds...and are still fighting for their rights to eat. Sometimes I worry they aren't getting enough but when I look at body conditions, they are just as good as the older birds if a little less fat.

It can be pretty dramatic once they get the amino acids from the feed that can be used on a cellular level to provide better, more complete nutrition. If you ever get a chance there is a thread called The Road Less Traveled that shows some pretty astounding changes that happened real fast...I was surprised and there isn't much that surprises and impresses me nowadays when it comes to livestock. I was duly impressed and so I will never go back to dry feeding.

I don't strain my feed, but just mix it thicker so that it's easy to dish out. Any residual moisture is drained out of the trough, as I have holes drilled in my trough. I also have holes drilled in my scoop and any fluid just slops out on the floor of the coop, there to inoculate my deep litter.

Now that you have them down on the feed...just increase it a little bit each day until they are leaving some behind in the trough, maybe just enough for a light snack. If there is any left over at the end of the day, back it off a little until you get the amount right. Come spring, that amount will change again as their nutritional needs change, so it's always just small adjustments according to body conditioning and their production levels. Pretty soon you'll get to know it so well that you will make the adjustments without even thinking about it...sort of like when you feed your kids and adjusting how much you place on their plates as the seasons and their growth changes.

Well I can tell today that I cut back too much. I went in this afternoon to check on them and they all flocked to me. They ran from the run into the coop looking for food. Since my FF is in the house I gave them a little bit of dry to tide them over till tomorrow. They attacked the little bit I gave them like I hadn't fed them today at all. I like the idea of slowly increasing back up to the right amount. I think I'll mix a bit more dry into the pail after I've used up more.

I will look up that thread. I'm curious now. The things I've noticed about the 2 hens that were scraggly is that their feathers are getting glossy again. They're getting their fluffy bums back. The one ISA that was eating fleathers off the ground seems to have stopped that as well.

Bee I actually had read the road less traveled on another blog! I guess I'm getting around in the online chicken world. I'm so glad to see that health can be improved naturally.

Well...our lovely abundance of insect forage has gone with the cold weather and I'm finding it's time to increase feed dispensed. I went from 2 1/2 c. of feed to 4 cups of feed yesterday and will gauge if it's enough or too much by watching the condition of the birds. The birds are still gleaning grass seeds and some types of bugs but I can tell that they are not getting filled up out there.

The trouble I'm having is with my 6 mo. old birds who have lived almost entirely on foraged feed this summer...they just don't want much of the grain based feed and are still trying to forage for their feed. In any other season, this is lovely, but they are going to have to adjust to a grain based ration from now until spring and I can see how reluctant they are to do so and, consequently, they are slimming down a good bit. Only one of the WRs are wanting to eat enough chicken feed and the other 3 birds are barely taking a few mouthfuls of it before they head back to the woods and pasture.

I'm sure they will finally start depending on the FF but they are showing some reluctance to do so.

Well...our lovely abundance of insect forage has gone with the cold weather and I'm finding it's time to increase feed dispensed.  I went from 2 1/2 c. of feed to 4 cups of feed yesterday and will gauge if it's enough or too much by watching the condition of the birds.  The birds are still gleaning grass seeds and some types of bugs but I can tell that they are not getting filled up out there. 

The trouble I'm having is with my 6 mo. old birds who have lived almost entirely on foraged feed this summer...they just don't want much of the grain based feed and are still trying to forage for their feed.  In any other season, this is lovely, but they are going to have to adjust to a grain based ration from now until spring and I can see how reluctant they are to do so and, consequently, they are slimming down a good bit. Only one of the WRs are wanting to eat enough chicken feed and the other 3 birds are barely taking a few mouthfuls of it before they head back to the woods and pasture.

I'm sure they will finally start depending on the FF but they are showing some reluctance to do so. 

It's the same here, Bee, most of the insects are now gone and all mine are foraging on is grass and whatever else they pick up in the pasture behind the house that the cows are grazing. I increased my feed rations a bit in the last week and may have to tweak a bit more as time goes on. I finally started adding some BOSS to my 50:50 layer mash to crushed barely so hopefully the girls are getting all they need and more from that mixture. They still act like crazed barbarians each time I slop out the FF into their trough. They bite at the scoop and even try and yank it away from me. I've had to cuff a couple of them upside the head to get them to lay off the scooper !

Last edited:
That's funny...I am adding my BOSS this week also! Great minds and all....
lol.png
I had some birds getting pushy around the feed bucket lately too but a few days of pecking them in the side cooled their jets. Middle Sister is still right there trying to get a mouthful out of the scoop as it lifts out of the bucket, but I just wave my hand and she backs off. She's laying again, so I know she is feeling a need for more nutrients right now. My youngsters should be coming up to laying this next month, so increasing the feed and some fats with the BOSS should get them in condition before then.

That's funny...I am adding my BOSS this week also!  Great minds and all....  :lol:   I had some birds getting pushy around the feed bucket lately too but a few days of pecking them in the side cooled their jets.  Middle Sister is still right there trying to get a mouthful out of the scoop as it lifts out of the bucket, but I just wave my hand and she backs off.  She's laying again, so I know she is feeling a need for more nutrients right now.  My youngsters should be coming up to laying this next month, so increasing the feed and some fats with the BOSS should get them in condition before then. 

I dunno what's in this FF but they go absolutely whacko over it lol !

Three outta my thirteen are now laying. The two Black Stars have been laying for a couple weeks and one of my BR girls laid her first egg this morning !!! I'm expecting more to follow very shortly :D

You're going to be overloaded with eggs soon...you have three breeds that will lay their hearts out for you, so gather your cartons! 

I've been saving egg cartons for over a year now ! I have a bunch of friends and neighbours that I can sell my eggs too ! Finally going to see a little return on these birds.. Hopefully make enough to cover feed costs and that's all I ask :)

Back
Top Bottom