FERMENTED FEEDS...anyone using them?

I don't think fermented feed that has 'fermented' to alcohol would hurt the chickens. IDK? though, don't quote me on that but I would think it would still be OK, not rotton or went bad or anything, just not the ferment your looking for.
When I first started fermenting it was winter, and it gets subzero here. Had fewer chickens so got away with smaller containers. Was using the big plastic coffee containers, had four of them and #rd them, rotated them. Had them in the doorway to our cellar, didn't smell. Had to be careful not to put too much in so it didn't work out of them. When I switched to one five gallon bucket and using the backslop I still fermented it in the top of the stairs to the cellar in winter, no noticeable smell. We don't use our cellar for anything but water pressure tank, furnace, storage etc so no big deal. Kept it outside in warmer months.
I don't bother with fermenting in winter anymore, just too much hassle IMHO, freezes into a hard chunk if they don't eat it all, and I only can feed them once a day.

I don't think fermented feed that has 'fermented' to alcohol would hurt the chickens. IDK? though, don't quote me on that but I would think it would still be OK, not rotton or went bad or anything, just not the ferment your looking for.

There is very little alcohol in fermented feed. Alcoholic products take much longer than the couple of days it takes to produce fermented feed. The fermentation done on feed makes the grain more digestible and nutritious.

I prefer to ferment in the winter as long as mid day temp gets up to 20. If it is that warm, the feed will stay thawed in the coop or sun room long enough for them to eat it. The beauty of FF in the winter means that I don't have to lug as much water. Well, in theory, I am still carrying as much water to the coop, but when 2/3 of it is in the FF, the 5 qt heated waterer will last almost all day. And I top it off when ever I go out to collect eggs. If I was using dry feed, they would be drinking about 3 gallons of water/day. So, I'd need to be topping that waterer off multiple times/day, and there would be increased risk of them running out of water.

There is very little alcohol in fermented feed. Alcoholic products take much longer than the couple of days it takes to produce fermented feed. The fermentation done on feed makes the grain more digestible and nutritious.
Shouldn't really be any alcohol in it, but if it smells like booze it most likely does. Beer only takes around seven days to ferment to 5% so if a batch of FF got some wild yeast going on in there it's possible that it could be around half the % of a typical beer within 2-3 days.
I just was saying I don't think I would toss the feed, not bad really I don't think.
They feed those Kobe beef cows beer to induce appetite.

I've switched over to NCO corn-free soy-free starter for my fermented feed and a fresh batch (just using water) really starts fermenting well after only about 24hrs. 1-2 days of fermenting this brand is enough for me. After 48hrs it smells sweet and tangy every time. After smelling it, I could almost be tempted to try eating it. ;)

Shouldn't really be any alcohol in it, but if it smells like booze it most likely does. Beer only takes around seven days to ferment to 5% so if a batch of FF got some wild yeast going on in there it's possible that it could be around half the % of a typical beer within 2-3 days.
I just was saying I don't think I would toss the feed, not bad really I don't think.
They feed those Kobe beef cows beer to induce appetite.
You can also use dark beer on horses that have a condition where they don't sweat when they are hot, they will be burning up but perfectly dry. Mix a dark stout in their feed and they start sweating!

Beer only takes around seven days to ferment to 5% so if a batch of FF got some wild yeast going on in there it's possible that it could be around half the % of a typical beer within 2-3 days.

Alcohol production in fermented feed doesn't work that way. You aren't adding packets of yeast to each new batch to start with a lot of yeast. Generally, you are only using a small amount of fermented feed as a starter for the new batch. The colony will grow and produce more alcohol as it gets larger. It isn't a linear process, so you don't have 1/2 of the alcohol when you are at 1/2 the fermenting time.

The beauty of FF in the winter means that I don't have to lug as much water
Good point there.
Actually it has to get down around single digits or lower to freeze their water bowl, big rubber one, sunk partway into the deep litter (keeps it warmer). Even on super cold days it takes a long time to freeze solid. I just haven't wanted to bother with fermenting this last couple winters.

Alcohol production in fermented feed doesn't work that way. You aren't adding packets of yeast to each new batch to start with a lot of yeast. Generally, you are only using a small amount of fermented feed as a starter for the new batch. The colony will grow and produce more alcohol as it gets larger. It isn't a linear process, so you don't have 1/2 of the alcohol when you are at 1/2 the fermenting time.
I was commenting on a earlier post where they said their feed smelled like beer, it can obviously have alcohol in it (though I'm pretty sure none of mine ever has)
No packets of yeast no alcohol? The Monks in Belgium don't add yeast to their Trappist ales, one of the strongest beers in the world, just leave the windows open and let God do the work (wild yeast in the air)
IF, IF, a good dose of wild yeast did happen to get into a unsealed container of FF, the hardest quickest part of a alcohol ferment is in the beginning, tapers off as it goes, so very well could be more than half the % IDK? though.
If I ever get a batch smelling boozy, I'll have to toss my hydrometer in it to see where it's at Lol :lol:

Hi Beer Can .
I ferment all year because it stays in my cellar ..
In the winter I add more dry feed to what they eat ..so it tends to freeze less .
Also a heating pad is underneath the dishes ..
I run a heavy duty electric line for the heated water dish anyway .
I think the kind of smell varies with the person ..Some think it smells like beer ..
To me it doesnt smell at all .
My husband & son think it stinks ..I think you get used to the smell somewhat

Back
Top Bottom