FERMENTED FEEDS...anyone using them?

I'm using layer mash, some barley and a little BOSS. The BOSS kind of floats to the top and make it looks like there is more than there really is throughout the mix. A greenhouse seems like a lovely place to keep FF!

hope everyone has a safe & blessed Thanksgiving

Bee, thanks for sharing your wisdom and experience so freely here, I think there are a lot more happy chickens out there because of you!

I forget how many chickens you are mixing your cooler of FF up for? I mean we have similar temps so I'm trying to gauge how much to make. If I do a similar setup, I would start it indoors (which I've already done on a smaller batch level) and once it's going good, put it outdoors.

My wife has finally agreed that we should try going 100% FF :) yeah!

Today I blocked access to their dry food for part of the day and tomorrow will be their first morning that they'll have to wait for their breakfast, FF, of course. I'll work them into it slowly. I've been feeding some FF since the spring, just not usually on daily basis.

I'm using layer mash, some barley and a little BOSS.  The BOSS kind of floats to the top and make it looks like there is more than there really is throughout the mix.  A greenhouse seems like a lovely place to keep FF! 

Your FF bucket looks like mine ! I'm mixing the exact same thing, layer mash, barely and BOSS :). My barely is crushed, not steamed though. Love the cooler setup, Bee. Hope you and all the other Americans on here have a wonderful Thanksgiving... God Bless !

Bee, thanks for sharing your wisdom and experience so freely here, I think there are a lot more happy chickens out there because of you!

I forget how many chickens you are mixing your cooler of FF up for? I mean we have similar temps so I'm trying to gauge how much to make. If I do a similar setup, I would start it indoors (which I've already done on a smaller batch level) and once it's going good, put it outdoors.

My wife has finally agreed that we should try going 100% FF
smile.png
yeah!

Today I blocked access to their dry food for part of the day and tomorrow will be their first morning that they'll have to wait for their breakfast, FF, of course. I'll work them into it slowly. I've been feeding some FF since the spring, just not usually on daily basis.

Thank you!! That sure makes me feel good!
hugs.gif
I'm currently feeding 24 LF from that cooler and I'm mixing enough to feed out for a week or more before I have to refresh. With it being colder out, I want the microbes to have plenty of time to inoculate the new feed and water and to metabolize well even though they are slowed down.

It's a good idea to start it inside until you get a really strong ferment.
thumbsup.gif

It's probably ok if it doesn't ice up too much.
This is just a word of caution.
I use a probiotic powder in chickens' water. It contains 4 types of beneficial bacteria as well as one species of yeast, the type for baking (saccharomyces cerevisiae). The package states to keep the temperature between 33 degrees and 103 degrees F. That warns me it shouldn't freeze.

Thank you so much Bee,
hugs.gif
you and others are a wonderful wealth of great info here. Will pick up some barley today and add it in to my mix. Do think I OD'd my girls on Thanksgiving LO's and scraps, the yams did not go over very well, but the other stuff did, even the green bean casserole!

It's probably ok if it doesn't ice up too much.
This is just a word of caution.
I use a probiotic powder in chickens' water. It contains 4 types of beneficial bacteria as well as one species of yeast, the type for baking (saccharomyces cerevisiae). The package states to keep the temperature between 33 degrees and 103 degrees F. That warns me it shouldn't freeze.

They'll stay alive, but may be a little dormant. I keep my baking yeast in the freezer.
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom