FERMENTED FEEDS...anyone using them?

I mixed up a tiny batch to try. layer mash-barley-cracked corn-acv-water. put it in a mason jar on the kitchen counter. will it work? do I need to do anything?

Don't tighten the lid. Several pages back, someone had hers explode, sending glass everywhere. Bear in mind it's going to grow, too.
Yep. It's also a good idea to have a plate or saucer or something underneath it. So if and when it does occasionally decide to pee on the counter it won't go too far.

When they say fill the jar only half full it's for a good reason. I ferment mine in a mason jar on the counter, a really pretty one I found. At least a couple of times a week I get carried away and fill it too full to start. By lunchtime I've got a puddle. I've also discovered over the past few days that straight crumbles swells up way WAY more than crumbles mixed with cracked corn and BOSS.

Last edited:
You gotta get one of them thar purty Mason jars that is "housebroken". You shouldn't have any more piddle after that.
wink.png

Quote:
Beware, I came home yesterday to find my pit bull had helped himself to my chick ff! I guess that means he'd like beer too! Bad boy! My fault, I accidently left the lid off. It just sits on top but he wouldn't have touched it had the top been on. :)

Hey everyone out there, Can we combine the two ff threads, PLEASE?? It would make it so much easier for all concerned. Bee, Could you do it? It would save your having to write some entrys twice and a whole lot easier on us to keep up with only one thread. What do the rest of you think? Are you with me ? :) beverly

Hey everyone out there, Can we combine the two ff threads, PLEASE?? It would make it so much easier for all concerned. Bee, Could you do it? It would save your having to write some entrys twice and a whole lot easier on us to keep up with only one thread. What do the rest of you think? Are you with me ? :) beverly

I don't have the power to do that and I don't know if it would serve the same purpose, as one is in the meat bird section and the other in the feed and water section. Both contain about the same info but one being smaller, it tends to draw in those who are intimidated by reading through large threads. This one tends to be seen more by those who do not kill their chickens and so never visit the meat bird section of the forum.

The other one is not one of my threads but was started by Shadowmane, so it's likely any request of that nature would have to come from him? Not sure how they do those things but I'm thinking it would be problematic to combine the threads.

I don't mind writing an entry in one thread and pasting it to another...it's no extra work at all.
smile.png

Beware,  I came home yesterday to find my pit bull had helped himself to my chick ff!  I guess that means he'd like beer too!  Bad boy!  My fault,  I accidently left the lid off.  It just sits on top but he wouldn't have touched it had the top been on.   :)

Lol. As long as the kids remember to shut the mudroom door, we shouldn't have an issue. A few more days, and I can move it outside to the feed shed.

Hope it won't freeze out there!

Don't tighten the lid. Several pages back, someone had hers explode, sending glass everywhere. Bear in mind it's going to grow, too.
It is about half full with no lid. Do I need a lid? Didn't know it grew. How much? I used extremely old acv that has been outside in the coop in new England for a couple years. will it work or should I add something?

Yep. It's also a good idea to have a plate or saucer or something underneath it. So if and when it does occasionally decide to pee on the counter it won't go too far.

When they say fill the jar only half full it's for a good reason. I ferment mine in a mason jar on the counter, a really pretty one I found. At least a couple of times a week I get carried away and fill it too full to start. By lunchtime I've got a puddle. I've also discovered over the past few days that straight crumbles swells up way WAY more than crumbles mixed with cracked corn and BOSS.
great advice thanks

It is about half full with no lid. Do I need a lid? Didn't know it grew. How much? I used extremely old acv that has been outside in the coop in new England for a couple years. will it work or should I add something?

I would just cover it with a tea towel. You shouldn't need to add anything else. I am the one who had the exploded glass. I covered a gallon jar with a tight screw lid. It will expand as it absorbs the water. I only use chick starter and water, nothing else, no acv, no other grain or boss. Try to keep it fairly moist for the first couple of days to allow the ferment a good start. Once you have a good base going you can keep the ff a little drier.

I would just cover it with a tea towel. You shouldn't need to add anything else. I am the one who had the exploded glass. I covered a gallon jar with a tight screw lid. It will expand as it absorbs the water. I only use chick starter and water, nothing else, no acv, no other grain or boss. Try to keep it fairly moist for the first couple of days to allow the ferment a good start. Once you have a good base going you can keep the ff a little drier.
will do. how do I know if it is working?

Back
Top Bottom