FERMENTED FEEDS...anyone using them?

Update on the cooler method of fermenting in the winter months in the outside environment: I no longer smell or see any evidence of fermentation in the feed and this could mean either the culture has died or it is very dormant. Since I don't want a dormant culture in the feed and to just feed wet grains, I'll be switching the feed to a large heated bucket this weekend to reactivate those little goodies.

Experiment failed.

YAY! What was the reason you started such a small batch? Just to experiment? How many chickens do you have? Are you planning to feed ff from now on? Once the bubbles have formed you can start feeding.
I wanted to start small and watch it on the kitchen counter. I have a small flock of chickens and a few turkeys. looking to keep everyone healthy and trying to cut feed costs.

if I save water on a bigger batch, how many days do I ferment before I feed?

I wanted to start small and watch it on the kitchen counter. I have a small flock of chickens and a few turkeys. looking to keep everyone healthy and trying to cut feed costs.

if I save water on a bigger batch, how many days do I ferment before I feed?

If you are fermenting in warm conditions, you don't have to wait to feed as your rebatch will have been inoculated with strong cultures and should be lightly fermenting after the absorption of the water into the feed, so no waiting after that first night is required. Just start feeding it out the next day and you'll notice the fermented smell grow stronger as you feed out of that bucket day by day.

Last edited:
Update on the cooler method of fermenting in the winter months in the outside environment:  I no longer smell or see any evidence of fermentation in the feed and this could mean either the culture has died or it is very dormant.  Since I don't want a dormant culture in the feed and to just feed wet grains, I'll be switching the feed to a large heated bucket this weekend to reactivate those little goodies.

[COLOR=0000CD]Experiment failed. [/COLOR]

BOOOOOOO! I guess for me, I'll just roll my cooler in and out of the house. What kind of temps did you notice the change at?

When temps dipped into the teens and 20s at night and stayed in the twenties and low thirties in the day. I'm sure the mix is just dormant but I need it to be a little more active than that to convert the grain's nutrition.

I have started fermenting my dogs' food. This is day 2 of feeding and everyone is eating with no GI upset.

I am using a 5 gallon bucket inside next to the wood stove. We are feeding Natural Balance lamb and rice L.I.D.

I am doing this for feed cost reduction first and to help my Akita's skin and coat.

I will keep everyone posted

Back
Top Bottom