FERMENTED FEEDS...anyone using them?

My bedding in the coop and run is sand, so when they do get treats and scratch, they also consume some of the sand with it. They also cruise around in the garden and lawn area when they free range so they eat dirt along with the weeds and grass. I did research commercial grit and pretty much figured out that it is basically sand. The type of sand in my coop is coarse, like construction sand.

Construction sand is ideal, especially if you can find it by the truckload. I know there used to be some concern about tge bagged stuff at Home Depot/Lowe's/Menard's because it wasn't washed or something. If I had a run, I'd definitely be doing sand likecwe did before we moved.

I have a container of grit, but I'm pretty sure they're eating the driveway. ;)

Construction sand is ideal, especially if you can find it by the truckload. I know there used to be some concern about tge bagged stuff at Home Depot/Lowe's/Menard's because it wasn't washed or something. If I had a run, I'd definitely be doing sand likecwe did before we moved.

I have a container of grit, but I'm pretty sure they're eating the driveway.
wink.png
lau.gif
This just struck me as funny.. hahaha

Ok I am fermenting my feed and it smells like rotten eggs to me. I got 20% protein and scratch in there from my local feed mill. I've used they're 14-15% and scratch and not had the smell. Now is there something they could have added to make it give this smell?

Ok I am fermenting my feed and it smells like rotten eggs to me. I got 20% protein and scratch in there from my local feed mill. I've used they're 14-15% and scratch and not had the smell. Now is there something they could have added to make it give this smell?

Is there fish meal or any other fish product in either of your feeds? That could be the culprit.

Like the post above says fish products in feed leads to stinky FF. The scratch is probably not the problem. It is probably the 20% chicken feed. Look at the ingredients, if they list fish or yeast you will get stink. I had a very stinky (horrendous smell) kind called feather fixer. I fed it to the birds and they gobbled it up anyways. It was still heathy for them. It just stunk so badly and got put in the garage to ferment.

Last edited:
I don't see yeast or fish meal listed. I do see a poultry protein product. what ever that is maybe egg parts? Also 3 different sulfates at the end of list. Wondering if I got a batch with a lot in it? Here is the tags took two different pics because they sew the tag on bag.

I was just worried about it being bad for the chickens since it smelled like that.

I don't see yeast or fish meal listed. I do see a poultry protein product. what ever that is maybe egg parts? Also 3 different sulfates at the end of list. Wondering if I got a batch with a lot in it? Here is the tags took two different pics because they sew the tag on bag.

I was just worried about it being bad for the chickens since it smelled like that.

It could be any or all of those ingredients.
big_smile.png
Mine doesn't have fish meal in it either, but it smells strangely of fish anyway. Those "poultry protein products" you see in that list are ground up feathers from the commercial broiler industry~could even be that..the higher to the top of the list of ingredients, the more of that ingredient is in the mix.

I wouldn't worry about it...there's no getting around the FF stinking, it just simply does. It's not a bad thing if you manage it properly and it won't affect the end results. Mine is currently in a bucket in my bedroom with the lid snapped down on one side, but not on the other. I have a very acute sense of smell, but I cannot smell that bucket as I pass by unless I take that lid off~and then it smells like pickled fish. No biggie.

Last edited:
It could  be any or all of those ingredients.  :D   Mine doesn't have fish meal in it either, but it smells strangely of fish anyway.  Those "poultry protein products" you see in that list are ground up feathers from the commercial broiler industry~could even be that..the higher to the top of the list of ingredients, the more of that ingredient is in the mix. 

I wouldn't worry about it...there's no getting around the FF stinking, it just simply does.  It's not a bad thing if you manage it properly and it won't affect the end results.  Mine is currently in a bucket in my bed with the lid snapped down on one side, but not on the other.  I have a very acute sense of smell, but I cannot smell that bucket as I pass by unless I take that lid off~and then it smells like pickled fish.  No biggie. 

Now, Bee... Don't snuggle too close to that bucket "in your bed"... What if it happens to burp and an explosion ensues ? LOL :gig :gig :lau Sorry, Bee... Couldn't resist !!

I fed mine the super stinky feed ( it also smelled like fish and rotten eggs all together). The birds ate it up like it was wonderful stuff. I don't think you need to worry about its safety for the birds. Oddly enough they ate it and always wanted more. They improved from their molt on it too.

Back
Top Bottom