FERMENTED FEEDS...anyone using them?

HI,

I have my first chicks and my first batch of fermented feed. I used the non medicated crumbles covered with water. All seems fine with it but my chicks (4) will not even taste it. They are drinking water, will eat dry crumbles but not a peck of FF. I tried feeding it to them before the crumbles but worried when they were not eating. Now I've tried mixing crumbles with FF so it's mostly dry crumbles. No pecks. They have not trouble eating the crumbles alone. I don't get it.
Any ideas? Could it be spoiled and they know it? Are chicks not prone to like it? It doesn't seem spoiled but I'm about ready to chuck it.
barnie.gif

Thanks for any words of wisdom.

HI,

I have my first chicks and my first batch of fermented feed. I used the non medicated crumbles covered with water. All seems fine with it but my chicks (4) will not even taste it. They are drinking water, will eat dry crumbles but not a peck of FF. I tried feeding it to them before the crumbles but worried when they were not eating. Now I've tried mixing crumbles with FF so it's mostly dry crumbles. No pecks. They have not trouble eating the crumbles alone. I don't get it.
Any ideas? Could it be spoiled and they know it? Are chicks not prone to like it? It doesn't seem spoiled but I'm about ready to chuck it.
barnie.gif

I just got my chicks today and the same thing was happening and I just sprinkled a little of the crumbles over the FF very slowly so that they saw it and when they started pecking the dry stuff they eventually got the idea and now they are eating the FF just fine.

Last edited:
I have fed ff to day old chicks before and not had any issues. But I never gave them dry, just waited for them to get hungry enough to try the ff. You may just have to stick to your guns and let them get hungry enough to investigate the ff. They won't starve themselves, I swear :)

I have a question for everyone, my 4 month old rooster was acting strange like he was trying to burp almost. So I picked him up and his crop felt very hard compared to the other chickens. So I gave him some oil and water with a syringe and hes been drinking on his own and very active but his crop is still feeling hard a few days later. He only gets ff and scratch some nights. But I always have grit available. I dont think its worth it to call the vet or anything. But if he did eat something that caused a blockage will it pass eventually?

HI,

barnie.gif

New chicks are still pretty much living on the yolk and when they are picking at dry feed it's more or less instinctive picking at things but I doubt they are eating much of that either. They will get hungry enough to eat it if you just remove the dry and be patient. They will not lie down and starve before eating it, I'm thinking. I've never had a chick that refused it yet, so I'm thinking it's just a matter of giving them time to get hungry enough.

I have a question for everyone, my 4 month old rooster was acting strange like he was trying to burp almost. So I picked him up and his crop felt very hard compared to the other chickens. So I gave him some oil and water with a syringe and hes been drinking on his own and very active but his crop is still feeling hard a few days later. He only gets ff and scratch some nights. But I always have grit available. I dont think its worth it to call the vet or anything. But if he did eat something that caused a blockage will it pass eventually?

If he is eating and drinking okay, I'd just give it time. He might have strands of grass or hay, etc. and can't get it down...it may eventually pass. Just give him time and watch him...you might also gently massage that mass while holding him at an angle downward and see if he can't regurgitate it.

I'm not going to make any more for the
same reason. I just wasted my feed.
I'm so sad to hear this. I purchased my chicks at a feed store and they were already 2 weeks old so only had dry food. I had them home about 3 days when I decided to switch to ff. From the very first feeding they took to it right away! I never had to sprinkle dry food on it. Simply chick starter and water. I fed in small flat tupperware containers and they gobbled it up in about 1/2 hr. I only had 4 chicks as well. I wish I had an answer for you, but I also believe they will eat it eventually if you take away the dry. I wonder if the brand has anything to do with it?

I just got my chicks today and the same thing was happening and I just sprinkled a little of the crumbles over the FF very slowly so that they saw it and when they started pecking the dry stuff they eventually got the idea and now they are eating the FF just fine.

They are very cute. I think I had the same feeder for my chicks. Mine was made of galvanized metal. I needed to get something different because of the metal reacted withe the FF and it's not good. Just a suggestion if you see the same thing happening. Good luck with you darling chicks. So fun. They grow fast!!!

They are very cute. I think I had the same feeder for my chicks. Mine was made of galvanized metal. I needed to get something different because of the metal reacted withe the FF and it's not good. Just a suggestion if you see the same thing happening. Good luck with you darling chicks. So fun. They grow fast!!!

Thanks. Mine is plastic but it is purple so it's hard to tell in the pic. They seem to like their FF pretty well for being only a day old. Makes me happy.

Hello all, and welcome newbies. I've been around for a while (8 mo)and asked a lot of questions. I've only had my babies 3 weeks now, but I have to say they are so darn cute. And healthy. They started on FF from the box from the hatchery. Never have I had any trouble with them eating it. It should be the consistency of thick oatmeal or peanut butter. Any thinner and that might be why they don't like it.
Remember all, you are bigger than they are. They will eat what you feed and love it. Take the dry feed out and keep it away. The older chickens might be a little more resistant from what they were raised on. Give them time and they will love it.
I gave my babies a treat a couple of days ago. Never had anything but ff and I put down a tiny dish of mushed up chicken, green grapes and egg whites. They ran to me (the food lady) and stopped suddenly. Looked at the bowl, Looked at each other. Looked at me. About a minute later one brave one tried a peck and then another peck. Then the others wanted in on it and she spent the next 5 min trying to run them off so she could eat it herself. So funny
lau.gif

They just didn't know if they wanted this new food. Give them time. Nobody is going to starve. I promise.
Fermented feed is the best thing I have found on this forum. Bar none. You'll never get healthier chicks with a better lifestyle. Happy.

Back
Top Bottom