FERMENTED FEEDS...anyone using them?

I ferment in a single bucket, but keep 2 buckets going. My ferment is thick enough that it will mound when scooped up. (usually) I like it when it's loose enough that I can stir it without breaking my arm, but thick enough that it will hold shape when scooped out.

Yea I definitely like it thicker, not near as hard to scoop. I add back every feeding, so far. I may have to change once it gets coolder. Right now it's keeping that sweet and sour smell.

I thought I'd give an update on using the pumpkins... I had the one that i had filled and left outside to ferment. It's been pretty cold, even had a little blizzard yesterday, but the FF stayed warm enough to keep going, so I fed it and added more, using the pumpkin as my vessel. It's working great to reuse them. I refilled the one from the garage for 3 days then finally cut it in half and fed them the whole thing this morning.

The rest of them are starting to get pretty soft, so it will be a short lived seasonal project, but I have 6 pumkins going right now that I just popped the top, filled, put the top back on, and I will feed andcrefill until the integrity of the pumpkin is too compromised to use any more.

I might get a months worth of use out of just 12 pumpkins, and I'll just toss the rest in there whole. :)

I like it; they're more entertaining than a bucket lol, but I have to admit it's been a challenge scooping from a pumpkin ;)

Jeepers, this thread has 6193 posts. I started my first batch yesterday based on Tikk Tok's article. It's like watching water boil, waiting for that first bubble to appear. I'm sure I'll be back for help. I placed 4 cups of feed + 4 cups of water, but needed another ~ 2 cups of water within no time. At this point is only smells like feed and water and looks like TikkTok's pic.

I use layer feed crumbles. I bought molasses, plain yogurt, etc., to add to their dish. For me, cooking is boiling water for tea! But I'm a gourmet chef for the chickens.

I use layer feed crumbles.  I bought molasses, plain yogurt, etc., to add to their dish.  For me, cooking is boiling water for tea!  But I'm a gourmet chef for the chickens.

Ha-ha me too, and they get so excited for feed now; it seems that they think I'm a gourmet chef too ;)

That is a great article. I think I may start my first batch tomorrow when I am out with the chickens. I never knew it was so easy because when I read about it I thought you had to add so many other things to it, I was thinking there was no way it would be worth it for me. Thanks for that information.

Oh its super easy. I didn't do it for the longest time just because I thought it would be more stuff to do and trip over buckets and more junk. It's been saving me time, space, AND money, so I don't really see myself going back to the dry bland feed anytime soon ;)

Oh and its increasing nutritional value of the same food I fed them before, score! :)

It took me about 2 months to make it through this entire thread lol; I'm glad I decided to start! ;)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom