FERMENTED FEEDS...anyone using them?

I found that it did ok as long as the coop temp got up to 20*. My goal is to have them finish it off before it's been around for more than 2 hours. I feed in the AM, and depending on what crops look like, give some in the PM, or use scratch then... often just to get them all to the run so I can get them shut in the run before the big bad predators come out. My flock stampedes the feed bowl, the bucket, the spoon. I often fling some with the spoon to give me enough space to get it into the bowl.

They are certainly nuts about it.
I will worry less since I get them up early so I can feed the one hen alone. Her eyesight is better than it was but not good enough to fend for herself against the mob. They get about an hour in the am with the light on. They have been eating well over half of what I put down by then.
I will decrease the amount in the am and feed a second time in the pm so I know they got full before bedtime.

Thanks for the info on what works.

I'm very interested in using fermented feeds, especially as my flock came off wormer recently for a really heavy worm load, and although the wormer worked I think it did a number on my chicken's gut flora. I don't quite know where to get started and frankly, this thread is REALLY LONG! I have a few questions from you guys, thanks! I have read some of the old-timer thread and the FF for meaties thread, as well as a few others but I'd like clarification...

1. is the only ingredients really only regular layer pellets, ACV, and water? or is there something else? in what ratios?
2. how much FF should be done at a time? does it go bad?
3. does the FF itself stink? like, if I do it in my house, will it stink up my house?
4. if it goes bad, how can you tell? what kind of stuff is normal? is mold?
5.what is the ideal place to store it?
Thanks for putting up with my questions, I just don't know where to start.

I'm very interested in using fermented feeds, especially as my flock came off wormer recently for a really heavy worm load, and although the wormer worked I think it did a number on my chicken's gut flora. I don't quite know where to get started and frankly, this thread is REALLY LONG! I have a few questions from you guys, thanks! I have read some of the old-timer thread and the FF for meaties thread, as well as a few others but I'd like clarification...

1. is the only ingredients really only regular layer pellets, ACV, and water? or is there something else? in what ratios?
2. how much FF should be done at a time? does it go bad?
3. does the FF itself stink? like, if I do it in my house, will it stink up my house?
4. if it goes bad, how can you tell? what kind of stuff is normal? is mold?
5.what is the ideal place to store it?
Thanks for putting up with my questions, I just don't know where to start.

https://tikktok.wordpress.com/2014/04/13/fermented-feed-faq/

I started my first batch Thursday afternoon (per TikkTok recipe) so it has now been 3 days. It's not bubbling, there is no strange "growth" and it's only just started to smell a tad different. House is 64-68degs. Am I too anxious or is it just going to take longer than I anticipated?

I started my first batch Thursday afternoon (per TikkTok recipe) so it has now been 3 days. It's not bubbling, there is no strange "growth" and it's only just started to smell a tad different. House is 64-68degs. Am I too anxious or is it just going to take longer than I anticipated?
Depending on if you are using tap water it could take longer. Also depends on the air in your home and if you have available wild yeast spores your feed can capture in the air where you live. I'd just stir it each day and wait...there's no hard and fast rule when each FF will develop a good growth of scoby. And, sometimes, it's harder to get one going when it's winter/cooler outside, as yeasts thrive better when it's warmer.

That tad different smell? That will most likely be the evidence that fermentation has started already....as time goes on that smell should increase.

That's kind of what I thought. Well water with a softener due to excessive iron. Five liter corning-ware casserole dish sitting on a granite counter top. Maybe too chilly. I moved it into the pantry off the stone counter and I just need to stop staring at it, waiting for something groovy to happen. I'm stirring it every 3-4 hours. Only made 4 cups in case I screwed up. If this works, I'll buy a 5 gal bucket and go for it.

So in the winter, with the obnoxious odor, where do you keep your brewing buckets where they will be warm enough for fermentation?

That's kind of what I thought. Well water with a softener due to excessive iron. Five liter corning-ware casserole dish sitting on a granite counter top. Maybe too chilly. I moved it into the pantry off the stone counter and I just need to stop staring at it, waiting for something groovy to happen. I'm stirring it every 3-4 hours. Only made 4 cups in case I screwed up. If this works, I'll buy a 5 gal bucket and go for it.

So in the winter, with the obnoxious odor, where do you keep your brewing buckets where they will be warm enough for fermentation?
lol.png
That's definitely a watched pot! You don't need to stir it more than once a day....in your case, it may be better if you don't stir it at all for a day and see what happens.

I keep mine on an enclose back porch that's still pretty cool...it allows it to ferment, but not go dormant. I also keep a lid on it but it's not pushed down on one side, which allows it to exchange air. The only time I really smell it is when I open it and stir it before dishing it out to take to the coop. When it warms up enough in the late winter/early spring that I can start to smell that FF bucket before I open it, then I know it's time to put it back out in the coop.

I'd advise you keep it in a similar type place...somewhere cool enough the fermentation isn't metabolizing too quickly but not so cold it goes dormant. A cool cupboard, basement, mud room, etc.

Even without a great ferment going, the water soaked feed will still be beneficial to your chickens. Their bodies can process all the available nutrients much better, and after a couple weeks you should notice they start eating somewhat less, since they are getting what they need more easily with less food.

Back
Top Bottom